Destroyed 5D

masterdp

Carbonite Member
Incredible story involving a timber wolf and a chainsaw (seriously). After 19 hours about 80 feet up in a tree I need a new 5D. Do I wait for the new ones?
 
If you can wait for a while, then yes - I would. If you need one right now, well the obvious answer is no.

Kegan
 
Nevermind...I just heard from a reliable source that a new 5D will be out at the end of this month (November). Can't wait!
 
Nevermind...I just heard from a reliable source that a new 5D will be out at the end of this month (November). Can't wait!

What's your reliable source, please? :)

You never know, guys, Canon could be up to anything. Amazingly they kept the C300 absolutely secret...even though everyone knew something was coming that day.
 
if the 5d mkiii was going to be ready at the end of november they would have made the C300 release fairly low key and had all the hype be about the 5d mkiii. Bottom line is it's not happening. I am actually confident enough that its not happening to buy a 5d in the next week or so (had a 60d) for $1700. even if the mk iii comes out some time next year it will be $3,000, which is almost twice as much, and after that release, I don't see the used price of the mk ii going down too much because it is still a 21 megapixel full frame 1080p camera, and if its price went down, just about every other canon dslr would have to drop in price otherwise everyone would buy the mk ii. I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, but bottom line is, OP, get a 5d mkii. They are in stock refurbished from canon (which IMO is better than new condition because of the more intensive inspection) for $2000. Thats a steal for such a great camera.
 
if the 5d mkiii was going to be ready at the end of november they would have made the C300 release fairly low key and had all the hype be about the 5d mkiii. Bottom line is it's not happening. I am actually confident enough that its not happening to buy a 5d in the next week or so (had a 60d) for $1700. even if the mk iii comes out some time next year it will be $3,000, which is almost twice as much, and after that release, I don't see the used price of the mk ii going down too much because it is still a 21 megapixel full frame 1080p camera, and if its price went down, just about every other canon dslr would have to drop in price otherwise everyone would buy the mk ii. I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, but bottom line is, OP, get a 5d mkii. They are in stock refurbished from canon (which IMO is better than new condition because of the more intensive inspection) for $2000. Thats a steal for such a great camera.

Exactly. I waited and waited (while owning a 7d) for the 5DIII. I just bought one on friday night. It'll be here Tuesday, and I'm not worried at all about a pending release. Even if it did get released soon, I wouldn't want one from the first batch. it's best to wait 6 months. AND, I'm going to be making money with the 5DII right now, then I can sell it for a couple hundred dollars less than what I bought it for when a new one comes out. Guarantee it'll make me more than a "couple hundred bucks" while I own it.

p.s. I bought brand new in box for 2K even
 
Hey Ryan where did you pick your 5d up from? I was looking at some but they wanted $2500 body only. Also if you don't mind saying why the switch from the 7d to 5d? I have been thinking of the 60d due to price. Thanks
 
Hey Ryan where did you pick your 5d up from? I was looking at some but they wanted $2500 body only. Also if you don't mind saying why the switch from the 7d to 5d? I have been thinking of the 60d due to price. Thanks

I bought it off of another guy from the marketplace of this photo forum site: http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Great site and a fantastic marketplace with the ability to acquire feedback to protect buyers/sellers. A lot of people selling at lower than market prices there too for quick sales. You have to stay on top of it though, most good price listings sell within a couple of hours.

The 5D2 is going for $1999 in Canada brand new all day long at various authorized sellers... and on amazon right now it's going for $2370. No idea why Canada's getting a better deal than us, but I'm guessing we'll see it too.

I'm not switching from the 7D to 5D, I'm adding it. I've been totally content with my 7D for video purposes, but not for photos, and I've been doing more and more photography as of late. That's my main reason for picking up the 5.
 
If you still have the body the Customer Loyalty Program offers refurbished 5D Mark II for $1679.20.
 
This has gone way off topic. However, the lesson is, if you want answers to your questions you have to make up a good story. I posted with the same question a couple of hours before the OP and got 4 views and no responses. My next post will include a whopper!
 
Back
Top