Depth of Field Test-DVX/DSR-450/Pro 35

Dino

Veteran
I did some tests comparing depth of field for a 1/3" imager vs. 2/3" imager with
standard zoom lens vs. 2/3" imager with Pro 35 Zeiss T1.3 prime. I used a DVX 100A at 20mm at F2.8 exposure, a Sony DSR-450WS with a Fujinon 15X8 at 30mm at F2.8 and a DSR-450WS with a P+S Technik Pro 35 and Zeiss 65mm Super Speed at T1.3. You have to guess which is which!

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com
 

Attachments

  • dvx100a.jpg
    dvx100a.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • dsr450.jpg
    dsr450.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • dsr450_w-pro35.jpg
    dsr450_w-pro35.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow! Now what we (you and me, and the two other DSR450 owners I know) is for Red Rock Micro to make a 35mm adapter for a 2/3" camera that we can AFFORD! Thanks, Dino! Great shots!
 
Kinda of cheating with the focal lengths of the lenses. The 35mm lens is 65mm? thats gonna be more shallow than botht eh 30mm and 20mm. are the other focal length converted to 35mm equivelents?
 
The 2/3" equivalent to 65mm lens for 35mm format is approx. 30mm, the 1/3"
equivalent to same is approx. 20mm. No cheating there. You can see that with
the cameras placed in the same position, the focal length matches. Setting all
lenses at 65mm would not work when dealing with different imager sizes.

I could have exposed the standard lenses at wide open, which would have been F 2.4 for the DVX 100A and F1.7 for the Fujinon 15X8, but I would normally not want to shoot any faster than 2.8 with these lenses, whereas the Super Speeds are optimized at T1.3., so it makes sense to shoot wide open,
especially since the Pro 35 loses one and half stops.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com
 
Back
Top