Color spaces?

maarek

Veteran
Hi, I use cinemagamma 4 quite a lot (I like the added headroom to 109%) but don't know which colorspace to use. I've been using rec.709 but I just saw a very ugly highlight. Probably the ugliest highlight I've ever seen (5d has spoiled me). Do you guys use the cinema-colors or .709? Which to use to get a natural highlight roll-off?
 
REC709 is broadcast display color space. If you grade on a properly calibrated REC709/sRGB reference monitor so you know what you are seeing is accurate, you can use any suitable camera color space or gamma setting to get the look you want. The end result just needs to be REC709 compliant, best verified by using a waveform monitor if your NLE software has scopes.
 
Personally, I use the Cinema color mode. After several side by side tests, it's the look I tend to like as it has a muted, subdued feel to it. Kind of like an old-ish movie.
 
Back
Top