Cheap and effective Odyssey rig

Ericjurg

Active member
Here's a handy way to mount the Odyssey on the FS700 using an umbrella clamp and two 5/8" studs with male 1/4-20 threads. Total cost is under $30.

The cool thing about this rig is that (with my lens/battery setup) the center of gravity is on the camera handle, and the whole thing is light enough to hand hold. Its like a poor man's Steadicam, and you can get right down on the ground with it for low angle shots. I'm developing a technique where when my arm get tired, I just hand it off to the other hand and keep shooting. And with the big Odyssey screen, I can actually see what I'm shooting.

It works well on a tripod too. It feels very solid, much better than an Israeli arm, and the monitor angle is easy to adjust.

I'm using a Impact umbrella bracket, and two Impact 5/8" male - 1/4-20 male screw adaptors from B&H, but there are other parts that would probably work as well. I put some captive washers on the studs and the screws to optimize alignment and rigidity.

Here are some pics. The third shot shows the handheld balance.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00855.jpg
    DSC00855.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00878.jpg
    DSC00878.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00879.jpg
    DSC00879.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice! I'm looking for something like that. Using a ball head thing mounted to the cold shoe now. But it's not sturdy enough so the Odyssey is prone to swivel...
Now I just need to be able to find one of those...
 
Yes, those are the parts I used. Note that you get one stud with 3/8" male screw that comes with the umbrella clamp (screwed into cold shoe), so you probably only need one additional stud for the Odyssey. But if you got a second stud with a 1/4" male screw for the camera handle, that would give you more mounting position options, using either 1/'4" or 3/8" taps on the handle.
 
Very cool. Do you think you would be able to fly this set up on a glidecam HD4000 and make it work?

Maybe, if you could come up with a gimbal with a stud clamp on the bottom to mount on the camera handle, and a stud on the top for the umbrella clamp/Odyssey.
 
I in turn wish to show my configuration :D I just moved the battery on the right side of the camera. 2 screws in the plastic guard of the HXR-FMU128.
So, it's easier to remove and to put back the battery, it is more solid, and there is fewer weight on the Odyssey. The O7Q is so better fixed, less sensitive in the movements.



1.jpg2.jpg
 
I'd try looking for substitute parts. The stud adaptors should be easy, and the umbrella clamp... worth a try. Go for plastic if available (lighter). The key to this is the solid attachment afforded by the studs.
 
I in turn wish to show my configuration :D I just moved the battery on the right side of the camera. 2 screws in the plastic guard of the HXR-FMU128.
So, it's easier to remove and to put back the battery, it is more solid, and there is fewer weight on the Odyssey. The O7Q is so better fixed, less sensitive in the movements.



View attachment 109821View attachment 109822

Cyril-from-France,
What battery plate did you buy for this setup and where did get the cable that would work for the Odyssey? I love your idea to attach it to the plate on the side! If you could let me know that would be awesome!

Rob
 
Thank you. I did not buy anything : it's the battery plate and the cable supplied with the O7Q.
You just have to remove the screws. You don't need anymore the metal plate. And you screw the plastic battery plate in the plastic guard of the FS700. That's all.
PS : After that, you can't use the hand grip because of the battery.

4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top