Cardigan Kid Spot

seanmcleod

Well-known member
Hey guys, so I've been shooting a lot of projects on the GH13 and finally one of them is complete so I can throw it up and get your feedback. This is a short promo spot for a clothing brand called Cardigan Kid. The idea was to showcase the clothes on all types of people just doing the things they normally do. Then with the interview section I wanted a clean look, so I went with a completely white backdrop and allowed the negative space to fill the fame at some points.

Let me know your thoughts!

 
Last edited:
Great job with the white background and lighting. Liked the grading and editing too -- 3 camera shoot in the interview or multiple takes? Pretty effective piece. What's up with the interlacing at :15?
 
Well done! i like the interview and the other shots all are great, what lenses do you use?

In the Graphics Department my comments are: the photo compositions from :14" have a brown shadow or a border i notice right away in the women arm, and later the interlacing in the :15" maybe can be softed with motion blur with the price of less details, is you can make this take longer and add the motion Blur the interlace will be reduced and no to much details loss, of course i´m assuming you´re using AfterEffects for this comps.

Anyways.. great work!
 
Great job!

Very slick. The main issue I have with it is the very shallow depth of field you have
working in some of the interview shots. What f-stop were you shooting at?
It looks like the near eye is in focus and the far eye is out of focus so you must
have been very close to wide open. I'm not a big fan of the roving out of focus
areas for something like this, but maybe that is what you were going for.

On a side note, when the founder of the company mentions that his business
is gaining momentum he uses the expression "it was all uphill from here (or there)"
which generally means things are about to get a lot more difficult. I'm not so sure
that was his meaning.

Still very nicely done!
 
3 camera shoot in the interview or multiple takes? Pretty effective piece. What's up with the interlacing at :15?
2 Camera shoot, the interlacing is a problem but it looked like it was kind of okay on my screen, but I guess it's not, it just has to do with having things crawl across the screen like that, it's always a problem.

Xenogears I use old Nikon primes, but there was also the 20mm pancake used for the wide. I think I did 50 for the MCU and 85mm for the tight shot. I know about the shadow, but I thought it didn't look bad, you think it does? Also I'll try the motion blur, but I did all the graphic stuff inside FCP.

Macdvz: I was shooting around 2.0 for most the shots, but I was on an 85 for those really focuses CU's. I did it as a choice just to mix it up to keep the interview fresh and moving. I generally am not a fan of it either as most people do it by accident these days because they have no focus puller, but I wanted something that would mix it up, kinda like the MTV style second black and white grainy camera style, but still keeping in the aesthetics of the other shots. Also you're right about uphill being harder work, but as far as the expression goes I think he used it correctly, if he were to say it was downhill from there that wouldn't be correct either, oh well, semantics.

Blackout: I don't think he has an ego, he was talking about his brand, not himself. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.
 
I found it ironic that he starts his pitch by saying he was tired of seeing everyone wearing the same t-shirt, and ends by saying he wants to see everyone wearing his. :)

Also at 3.11 he says it's been uphill ever since. Perhaps a Freudian slip but I think he meant to say that things have been great, not a slog which is what uphill usually means.

Finally, the sound level seems low on Vimeo.

But it's great to see the ability of these cameras to make spots that would have otherwise have cost a fortune only a few years back.

Nice work, and I think the background works really well. Thanks for sharing. It's definitely given me an idea. :thumbup:
 
I really like the retro color grading and film frame. Was some of this filmed at the skate park at Rankin and University Ave? I thought I recognized it from when I went to U of Windsor.
 
Finally, the sound level seems low on Vimeo.

Hate to quote myself, particularly when I'm wrong. It seems the volume level on the Vimeo player is a global setting. I had turned it off to listen to PB talk about the AF100, and hadn't turned it back up.

So...... audio level is fine.

Apologies.
 
If you like more 'deep' lighting for interviews, you can try to put the key and fill light on the same side. And, normally you put the key on the side of the interviewer. So in this case you would have key and fill to the left of the camera. This way you create a much deeper shadow on the right side (seen from the camera) of the interviewee. I prefer that, you get more contrast and more sense of depth. Very nice clilp!
 
I really like the retro color grading and film frame. Was some of this filmed at the skate park at Rankin and University Ave? I thought I recognized it from when I went to U of Windsor.
Yes it was indeed! Good eye!

Hate to quote myself, particularly when I'm wrong. It seems the volume level on the Vimeo player is a global setting. I had turned it off to listen to PB talk about the AF100, and hadn't turned it back up.

So...... audio level is fine.

Apologies.

No worries, you're right about the T-shirt wearing thing, I kind of thought the same thing. As for the downhill/uphill thing, another user up above caught the same thing, and while I can see it's confusion, I think it kinda makes sense both ways, cause if something is downhill it's easier, but usually down is bad and up is good... but either way semantics.

If you like more 'deep' lighting for interviews, you can try to put the key and fill light on the same side. And, normally you put the key on the side of the interviewer. So in this case you would have key and fill to the left of the camera. This way you create a much deeper shadow on the right side (seen from the camera) of the interviewee. I prefer that, you get more contrast and more sense of depth. Very nice clilp!

The key was on the interviewers left and the fill about three feet to the side of that, so basically subjects side... I agree that lighting style you spoke of would be deeper and more contrasty/dramatic, but I don't think it would fit and interview of this type, so that why I went with a lower contrast, more even light on the front of the subject, but still a nice bright kick on the back light.
 
Back
Top