Canon 1DX II First Impressions and CLog emulation

Just shot a bunch with the 1DX Mark II today and I am pretty impressed as far as quality goes. Put a short clip together as this is all straight out of camera on the neutral color profile for reference. Click HD to watch in 4K

 
There is almost a 50/50 split in the love/hate of the 1dx II. I am trying to sort through it was I was considering a gh4 to a7s II upgrade but thinking the canon color in 4K may be best.


This video shows some amazing images and looks far and above most footage I have seen. If this is easily achievable on the 1dx II as this gentleman did then it would be a no brainer. The only fear is noise and ISO performance compared to a7s II and 1dc for someone like myself who uses available light.

Any thoughts?
 
You will be able to achieve easy colors like that right out of the box; with or without tweaking any of the pictures styles.

Don't expect A7SI/II ISO performance, but definitely pretty clean up to 12800 (IMO).

I owned the camera for a few days, but decided to return it. It's an amazing machine but it wasn't worth $6K to me.

These days, the quality is so good out of so many of these cameras that a lot of it comes down to personal preference and certain features one may be interested in. The 1DX Mark II will be a great option for many.
 
I agree the wedding video images are fantastic. Way to go Canon. Lets hope the 5DMKIV can create images that are equal and not hobbled. I know 4k60p will probably not happen but the image quality can be there.

1-series cameras are really only for people who need them. They are large and heavy but have the horsepower for certain situations. If my photography warranted a 1-series camera I would be very pleased to make this my A cam SDOF video camera. This fall could be very interesting with the GH5, 5DMKIV and whatever Sony is cooking up. I would definitely hold off on any still camera purchases until after Photokina.

P.S. The only thing that is against this camera or the 5D for me is the lack of a viewfinder for video. I use a loupe with my 5D but this takes away from a lot of handheld type of shots. This is an area where mirrorless cameras are just better for video use.
 
Last edited:
Dxomark numbers for the 1DX are out. It's information about RAW stills, but it's still interesting because it shows an improvement over previous Canon sensors. It's still slightly worse than the competition at ISO 100 and 200 in most measures (noise, DR, etc), but by ISO 400 it's up there with the best.
Comparison with D810 and a7RII
Comparison with 1DX and 5D3, that shows that the big improvement is in DR
 
Some more sample footage uploaded in 4K- all the drone footage was done with phantom and everything else was filmed handheld really fast with not much input. Still performed great.

 
Has anyone sprung for the EOSHD C-Log or James Miller Deluts C-Log Picture profile packages for their 1DX Mark II's? Would love to see some footage in motion jpeg.

Very close to considering putting my A7sII and 5D3 up for sale to move to the 1DX2, just need to be reasonably convinced before I opt to deal with those mjpeg file sizes.
 
Has anyone sprung for the EOSHD C-Log or James Miller Deluts C-Log Picture profile packages for their 1DX Mark II's? Would love to see some footage in motion jpeg.

Very close to considering putting my A7sII and 5D3 up for sale to move to the 1DX2, just need to be reasonably convinced before I opt to deal with those mjpeg file sizes.
Mr Bloom did a test already , I bought it buy no time to try yet.
 
Back
Top