Camera suggestions needed

roxics

Veteran
Ok I need a couple suggestions on a good video camera for my client. They want to shoot HD video in a simple way but still maintain some quality. So nothing like a flip camera.

I'm also throwing out the idea of suggesting a DSLR to them because DSLR's don't really make great video cameras unless you know what you're doing.

So any suggestions on a decent consumer HD video camera?
Try to keep it under $600 please.
 
Hi roxics,

You should look into Canon Vixia series. I owned one (HG21) before switching to DSLR. It's definitely a great little camcorder (many models in the series, find the most suitable one): Canon VIXIA Series

Also, there is a big community board for Vixia users (hv20.com) where people particularly use HV20/30/40, but similar principles apply to most models in the VIXIA series.
 
Hi roxics,

You should look into Canon Vixia series. I owned one (HG21) before switching to DSLR. It's definitely a great little camcorder (many models in the series, find the most suitable one): Canon VIXIA Series

Also, there is a big community board for Vixia users (hv20.com) where people particularly use HV20/30/40, but similar principles apply to most models in the VIXIA series.

I agree- I just bought an HFS200 for $675. Here's what it does well -
1. Image stabalization is GREAT.
2. 24P Native. 30P
3. Some image adjustments available - color, contrast, depth.
4. GREAT high res touch screen- touch focus really works.
5. Dual card slots
6. Adjustable gain limit in 1db increments...this helps control low light noise a lot. I just shot a 1 bulb/2 flour. basement shot with gain limit at 7db. and the shot came out way better than I thought it would.
7. In camera HD to SD downconversion- Very helpful for simple editing
8. Lots of manual control available if you want it. Mic input, audio level control, headphone out, shutter or aperture, zebras, etc.
9. Picture is very high quality.
10. Stand back a bit and the sensor is large enough for subject isolation.
 
For shooting interlaced in auto go Sony. For native 24p go Canon. For 1080p60 go Panasonic. For having it all in one package the upcoming Sony HDR-CX700V seems to offer all the goodies with 26 mm wide lens to boot.
 
Back
Top