rayortiz313
Active member
Hey guys,
I'm working on writing up a business plan for my production company as a personal exercise to wrap my head around what in the heck Im doing with my life.
As someone mentioned was the best reason for doing so, this opened up holes in my plans, and big blank spots where I have no clue as to how this business works.
The loose plan is to make no budget shorts for audience building on youtube and then do a kickstarter for a 10,000 feature. Not much different than alot of folks, I guess. The question is- if one were to treat this as a small business, where income is er.....comin' in:
- I had a vague idea that one could build up a youtube channel with narrative (action and horror) shorts and make money off ads. I doubt thats viable but may need someone to tell me how nearly impossible it is. Is youtube mostly an audience-building platform for most?
- Approaching distributors after the film is shot is the second 'beginners mode of thought" I'm riding on. I am quite aware that most films don't get distributed and when they do, getting your money can be a challenge. But is that the primary way an independent producer would aim to make money? My big dream would be to make a 10,000-ish feature full of exploitation elements (action, monsters, gore fx, etc) and be able to sell it for profit since the budget is so low.
- (Sienfield voice here) What's the deal with video on demand (vimeo), etc. Is that considered a last ditch attempt for films lacking a distributor? Are folks looking at that as "the future" for folks like us, as is so often claimed?
I'm a big boy and well aware that selling a film in any market is a massive challenge. I am not looking for easy answers, but:
What is the basic plan of attack, so to speak, for micro-budget (10,000$ raised of kickstarter or self-funded) narrative filmmakers to see some sort of return on their personal investment?
I'm working on writing up a business plan for my production company as a personal exercise to wrap my head around what in the heck Im doing with my life.
As someone mentioned was the best reason for doing so, this opened up holes in my plans, and big blank spots where I have no clue as to how this business works.
The loose plan is to make no budget shorts for audience building on youtube and then do a kickstarter for a 10,000 feature. Not much different than alot of folks, I guess. The question is- if one were to treat this as a small business, where income is er.....comin' in:
- I had a vague idea that one could build up a youtube channel with narrative (action and horror) shorts and make money off ads. I doubt thats viable but may need someone to tell me how nearly impossible it is. Is youtube mostly an audience-building platform for most?
- Approaching distributors after the film is shot is the second 'beginners mode of thought" I'm riding on. I am quite aware that most films don't get distributed and when they do, getting your money can be a challenge. But is that the primary way an independent producer would aim to make money? My big dream would be to make a 10,000-ish feature full of exploitation elements (action, monsters, gore fx, etc) and be able to sell it for profit since the budget is so low.
- (Sienfield voice here) What's the deal with video on demand (vimeo), etc. Is that considered a last ditch attempt for films lacking a distributor? Are folks looking at that as "the future" for folks like us, as is so often claimed?
I'm a big boy and well aware that selling a film in any market is a massive challenge. I am not looking for easy answers, but:
What is the basic plan of attack, so to speak, for micro-budget (10,000$ raised of kickstarter or self-funded) narrative filmmakers to see some sort of return on their personal investment?