Brightness stepping in low light?

Ken7

Well-known member
I was shooting 720p in indoor lighting and noticed that as I zoomed in, there was a distinct 'stepping' in brightness which also occurred as I pulled back. The stepping was not smooth, but rather sudden.

Is this normal? I'm getting a bit paranoid since it was the first test I ran after updating the firmware.
 
Well just a guess,

If this was the stock lens and you were zoomed in, the iris was at f5.8, and as you zoomed out , it adjusted to f4. You saw the jumps of the in between apertures. My guess!
 
If you were wide open at first that would definitely do it. It also occurs with lenses that have fixed apertures all the way through, although to a lesser extent and not so suddenly.
 
Yeah, it was the kit lens and I was wide open. I guess I just didn't do a test like that prior to the firmware update I did last night, so I was nervous that it was something induced by the update. I guess that's what's referred to as 'lens ramping'.
 
Back
Top