BNC Cable to 7Q Right Angle Adapter

ChadN

Well-known member
I'm using the Convergent Design HD-SDI cable. Except i need a right angle adapter to squeeze everything on to the Ronin. I can't find any ultra slim cables with right angle connectors. So i'm thinking of buying a right angle adapter for the CD ultra slim cable.

Do you think i'll have any troubles with the connection? Speed for zipping all that 4K data from the camera to the 7Q? If not, i'll just go ahead and order the right angle adapter!

Thanks
 
I remember a while ago some thread/s about bad BNC terminals and cables. I think there was some talk about right angles not being as robust as straight connections? It may have been specific to higher data rates.

I don't remember precisely, but if you search this forum, you might find some info.

Worst come to worst, perhaps you may still be able to creatively counterbalance your camera's position to make way for the straight connection, without negatively affecting the Ronin's performance.
-Good luck!
 
The right angle male-female adapters do sometimes fall apart, that weakness can lead to lower frequency response.
 
Thanks for the replies, guys. I ordered a right angle adapter, the least cheap looking one i could find. Also ordered a right angle one end / straight on the other cable from Markertek that i can go with if the adapter doesn't work well. I've had no trouble with Cinecoil's right angle cords on the 7Q, but it's a bit large and i'm trying to be light as possible on the Ronin. Let you know if i run in to any troubles.
 
There are many right angle adapters on the market, and most are only rated for 1.5G-SDI, not 3G-SDI. Even the best adapter will lose 3db of signal simply by resistance.

You didn't note what type of 4K signal you were sending. RAW or video? What frame rate? These represent different data loads, and one may saturate the connection while another may pass without issue. The best I can suggest is for you to buy some and test.
 
I'm using a right angle connector for the exact same reason as you need one and I've had problems with the signal cutting out as the Ronin moves around. It seems that if I tape the cable and connector solidly down to the back of the camera that I have better results.
 
There are many right angle adapters on the market, and most are only rated for 1.5G-SDI, not 3G-SDI. Even the best adapter will lose 3db of signal simply by resistance.

You didn't note what type of 4K signal you were sending. RAW or video? What frame rate? These represent different data loads, and one may saturate the connection while another may pass without issue. The best I can suggest is for you to buy some and test.

What right angle adapter would you recommend using with the 7/7Q/7Q+ recorders? Maybe this is something that CD can make and sell as an accessory?
 
Be careful to check the centre pin on the connecter isn't the larger type as it will stretch the petals inside the port and damage it.
 
Looks like even the crimp connectors run between $10 and $20 each, with premade cables around $30 to more than $50.
 
Well dang. There are really no lightweight 3G-SDI cables with right angle that i can find. Anyone have a link to one that's 2 or 3ft long?

The Cinecoil works great, never had it drop the signal for a second. It's just kind of weird how it hangs and it's a bit heavy on the Ronin. If i can strap it down a bit or secure it, i might have to just go with that.
 
Back
Top