Better NLE to RED

Emanuel

Cross-Examiner
Considering this post LINK from Frederic -- RED team:
Fred Lumiere said:
(...) we believe that when people see the quality of REDCODE and the seemless workflow it will offer with NLEs, the majority will choose to stay in REDCODE (10bit 4:4:4).

Wavelet based codecs (Cineform) are used today as DI solutions. Meaning, film scans are generated based on that codec. That's very impressive for the efficient bitrate they offer.

Also, RED is an open architecture. It has been the philosophy since conception. We are going to welcome third party companies to develop RED accessories. (...)

...as well, your well-known neighbourhood (yours -- Lumière HD, AJA, Nattress Filters to Final Cut Products@Apple_basis)...

I would like to know if we can expect a FCP/Apple predominance or if we, PC users* as myself as Graeme already well knows -- if we can hope for a PC open architecture too?

And in the afirmative case, at same time to the RED camera launch? In both directions -- FCP or Premiere?

And to both cases (Apple & PC) -- in the case of that hypothesis, if it is possible now to have a turnkey solution with the minimum configuration requirements?

To 1080 it will not be difficult but to 2K or even 4K, can we have an idea now?

I'm sure that there will be a lot of people interested to buy or to change of NLE during 2006 (and, at same time, RED shooters during next year) for whom a full answer it will be very useful nowadays.

* Silicon Imaging/Cineform camcorder offers us this advantage -- and RED?
 
I don't see any reason why we won't be very cross platform. Yes, a lot of us happen to be mac users, but that doesn't mean we don't want PC users to buy the camera also, and be able to edit with it.

Graeme
 
We Know that red and apple are woking very close together. And for me I couldn't be happyer about this. I don't think it is up to RED if the PC NLE's are compatable and able to edit at 4k. That is up to the NLE providers. The Same for apple. Now the only thing the RED could and probably would do is realse the RED Codec to those NLE providers. So it is not up to RED to "Make it work for PC users" Time will show if the NLE providers will follow. So you should talk to your NLE provider of choce and lobby them to support red
 
Graeme, It seems to me that PC Codec development should be greatly speeded by Apple's switch to Intel processors. At least on the basic Decoding level.

I sure hope you guys are planning to directly support us PC users. Adobe is notorious for not supporting their customers with any of their programs. In the case of HDV it was only Cineform's tenacity that got HDV running inside of Premiere.

Unfortunately, I do a large quantity of F/X work that can't be done on an Apple based platform. I've found the Cineform Codecs to work beautifully across F/X and editing packages via the AVI wrapper. If you guys can support the PC in a similar fashion I'll give you a big manly kiss on the lips.
 
Intel chips give developers a common platform to optimize for, so small players can do more work and R&D on limited budgets, and that's always good. I think that will certainly help all development on the Apple platform (and conversely, on the PC).

Graeme
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
I don't see any reason why we won't be very cross platform. Yes, a lot of us happen to be mac users, but that doesn't mean we don't want PC users to buy the camera also, and be able to edit with it.

Graeme
PC_side@4K also? Or just to 1080p or even 2K? Without restrictions comparing FCP? At same time of the RED launch?
 
I'm glad to hear you 'cause a RED R&D so closer to the Mac NLE it could be a hassle to PC users and future RED shooters if not it will be well clarified such care. Specially when there is a Silicon Imaging/Cineform camcorder with a strong PC basis.

:dankk2: for your answer, Graeme.

EDIT -- BTW, the question of the availability is so much important and in the case of the SI cam they are announcing next September. To have a product already prepared to respond to any requirement -- mainly@post, there will be relevant to all of us with professional needs. And for sure, more than a pretty toy this RED cinema camera will be a tool. Our work tool.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top