Best mount for Tokina 11-16 Wide Zoom

mediasmith

New member
Hi All!

Going to pick up a Tokina 11-16 Zoom for my FS700. I currently use a Novaflex adaptor to use all my Nikon glass (9 lenses all AIS pre-auto focus). I have 3 options to mount this tokina:

1 Get a Nikon mount and continue to use the Novaflex mount. Manual control only

2 Get the Tokina with the Sony Alpha mount + a Sony Alpha to E mount adaptor and gain iris control and auto focus

3 Get the Tokina with a Canon mount + Metabones adaptor. I assume I will get iris control and auto focus. Lets me use the lens on a 7D or T3i as a B camera

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!:)

I also own a Sony EX-3
 
I have option 2, using the LA-EA1 adapter. It's true that you get iris control, but manual only (using the control wheel on the camera). It is SLOW, and makes a bone-shaking ker-CLUNK at every step. Don't think it does AF. The LA-EA2 is probably much better -- haven't tried it.
 
The Metabones adapter doesn't support autofocus, but Iris control will work through the camera.

If you already have an adapter and mount you're used to (Nikon), I'd stick with it... Adding a $400 adapter just to get awkward iris control through the camera body doesn't seem worth it. And you can still get an F-EOS adapter to use it on your 7D/T3i.
 
The Metabones II has given new life to my EF mount 11-16 with iris control. Occasionally I'll use push-auto for exposure but mostly rely on the wheel and who needs AF with a lens that wide. Also use the MB successfully with 17-40 Canon L and 70-200, again with great compatibility with my 7D.
 
Back
Top