Best ever sequels and Prequels???

mmm

Okay, so apparently a sequel will never surpass the original, but hey, every law has exceptions!

So, what are the best sequels, and which improved most on the original.

Some of my favourites are:

Empire Strikes Back
Godfather II was a little better than I IMHO
T2
X2 (didn't dig X Men at all)
Return of the King... if that is a real sequel
Lara Croft: The Cradle of ..... :grin:

Well not sure my choises surpassed the orginal but they have something else, aside from the orginal that made them worthy sequels.

Aliens (grunts in space)
SW EpV ESB (darker)
JB nr4 Thunderball (well its Bond)
For a few dollars more (more emotions than in fistful)
Lethal weapon 2 (More emotion on Riggs character)
Blade 2 (yea you get it, I like when u see emotions on screen)

Infernal Affiars II its a perquel, explains why those character were friend then enemies
Infernal Affiars III is the final part of the trilogy pickup 9 months after the first one. fisnish the story is the best one.

mmm said:
Empire Strikes Back
Godfather II
You pretty much nailed the two I would have mentioned right away. I cannot think of any other sequels that bettered the films that sired them...
but I can come up with a few that did the opposite (in that they were so horrendous that they brought the integrity of the series as a whole down with them.) Namely the Highlander follow-ups (I witnessed a great concept being utterly corrupted before me on the screen). Also, to a lesser degree, Rocky V :thumbdown (know when to hang 'em up, there champ.)

Improved most on the original? Good question.

Evil Dead 2
Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars - Episode 3 (say whatever you want, I liked it)
Kill Bill 2 - Emotion of character, but no Lucy Lu fight scene... Still
Spiderman 2
Godfather 2 - The story of the father and the son, great job there
Color of Money - Better than The Hustler
Die Hard with a Vengence - Jeremy Irons

Honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of many sequels that were better or improved on the original so heres my list for sequels that did more harm to the original than helped:
Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Predator 2, Rocky 5, Rambo 3, The Whole Ten Yards (did we really need this junk dropped on us), Die Hard 2 (die hard in an airport, please!), Sniper 2, Sniper 3, The Substitute 2, The Substitute 3, Best of the Best 2, Best of the Best 3, Best of the Best 4, Kickboxer 2, Kickboxer 3, Bloodsport 2, Bloodsport 3, Cube 2: Hypercube, Cube Zero, Men in Black 2, Anacondas, From Dusk 2 Dawn 2, From Dusk 2 Dawn 3, Hannibal, Bring it on Again (haven't seen it, but safe assumption I'm guessing), Cruel Intentions 2 (ditto previous comment)... OK, I'm boring myself now.

spidey said:
lol david i think you and me only rember breakin 2 electric boogaloo

Yeah it looks that way. I definitely remember it and not fondly! :shocked: A girlfriend drug me to see it. I love the trailer though. The '80s, what the f*ck where we thinking!!!

David Jimerson said:
Were you *alive* when Breakin' 2 was released?

no but i grew up with all those movies and i still watch them, I got 600 movies in my library.

Babe 2: Pig in the City

I am NOT joking. The first Babe was alright and cute and what not, but the second was actually great- The city is a fantastic example of set and art design in the way they combine elements of Sidney, New York, Paris, Venice ect. Both Siskel and Ebert called it one of the best films of 1998 and Siskel called it the best film of the year.

seejay1031 said:
Babe 2: Pig in the City

I am NOT joking. The first Babe was alright and cute and what not, but the second was actually great- The city is a fantastic example of set and art design in the way they combine elements of Sidney, New York, Paris, Venice ect. Both Siskel and Ebert called it one of the best films of 1998 and Siskel called it the best film of the year.

I haven't actually seen the whole film yet, but I caught the end on TV a few weeks back. The production values on that film are OUTSTANDING! The sets, lighting, camerawork and integration of talking animals are first class. However I missed most of the storyline, so I can't comment on that. I actually quite liked "Babe" too though... "that'll do pig." Brings a tear to the eye... :cry:

Aliens - yeah knew I had forgotten one! My dad and I always argue about whether Aliens is better than Alien. He made me watch them when they first came out on video because he thought they were so good. Of course, I was only about 6 at the time and crapped myself!

Amry of Darkness, Back to the Future 2 (who didn't want a freakin hoverboard), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Desperado, Bourne Supremacy, and The Color of Money? Would Hunt for the Red October count as a sequel?

Can't forget Ace Venture When Nature Calls no matter how hard you try. :laugh:

Back