Basketball footage

Why would you shoot 24P or even 30P for sports. We did shoot some 1080i.

Thanks,

Jan

Doesn't make sense for live broadcast, but for TV programs and TVC's, its invaluable. All our Macau GP TVC's are shot 1080 25p (with Panasonic cameras), and look excelent.
 
Last edited:
I saved it as a .mov then downloaded the software to view. Footage looks very good for available light.
 
Doesn't make sense for live broadcast, but for TV programs and TVC's, its invaluable. All our Macau GP TVC's are shot 1080 25p (with Panasonic cameras), and look excelent.

And my point was in response to your question about why no 1080P. Well there has been 1080P footage shown. This was a basketball game, so again, why would anyone shoot sports in 24P, 25P or 30P. You wouldn't.

Thanks,

Jan
 
Thanks Barry, you are the best. Of course I did have to do learn how to Winzip that file on the fly and find the FTP site, but that was nothing in comparison. ;-)

Best,

Jan
 
And my point was in response to your question about why no 1080P. Well there has been 1080P footage shown. This was a basketball game, so again, why would anyone shoot sports in 24P, 25P or 30P. You wouldn't.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan, Macau Grand Prix is a motorsport event.
 
Jan, Macau Grand Prix is a motorsport event.

I wouldn't shoot that in 25P, it would be best shot in 720P/50 or 60. Second best would be 1080i/50 or 60, just to handle the motion. 24,25, or 30 would not be a very good use in a motion sport that moved so quickly. YOu would have judder all over the place.

Best,

Jan
 
I wouldn't shoot that in 25P, it would be best shot in 720P/50 or 60. Second best would be 1080i/50 or 60, just to handle the motion. 24,25, or 30 would not be a very good use in a motion sport that moved so quickly. YOu would have judder all over the place.

Best,

Jan

Its a matter of look. I shoot the whole commercial with a cinematic feel, from the preparation to the actual race footage. 1080 25p gives me the best resolution in a cinematic frame rate for PAL. If you want to check out the TVC, have a look. Please download both the Macau GP and the International Kart GP. The others were shot with a Sony F900. Both GP videos were shot 1080 25p (excluding the slow motion)

http://www.macautourism.gov.mo/en/ezone/video.php

.Its a matter of visual coherence. I obviously mix with some 720 50p slow motion shots. I had to deinterlace the broadcast racing footage for the look of the TVC. If you know what you're doing with 25p, and select a fast shutter, you can get fantastic, cinematic racing footage. This can obviously be applied in other sports.

Its, again, a matter of choice of the language you want to use when filming Sports.

Live broadcast, reality look, or a cinematic, larger than life look?

1080 25p is obviously the mode where one can get the max resolution and detail of the Cameras. While I could still use 720 25pn, this would be a real shame and would certainly mean inferior footage to the 1080 25p footage from the competition.
 
Hi,

My point still remains, there is 1080P footage on this site already. Take a look, it is under the Africa thread. This is a Basketball game. Thus it is not a commercial. Once the camera is out there in the hands of shooters, I am sure we will see more movie style stuff shot. As it stands there is only a handful of cameras and I do not have the time in my day to shoot everything that people want to see. This was a basketball game. It was shot with the most appropriate frame rates, the best of the two is 720P/60 for sports, live action.

You could use the1080P/25 from this camera and it would look different than the clips that you have online, but then it would look different if recorded on the EX3, if nothing more than the fact that both have to work with a CMOS imager and one has to deal with long GOP in addition. I do find it amusing that now the HPX300 has to compete with an F900 camera. Let me take that Macau shoot on with an HPX3700 or even a 2700 and we can show you some real footage.

Thanks,

Jan
 
Hi,

My point still remains, there is 1080P footage on this site already. Take a look, it is under the Africa thread. This is a Basketball game. Thus it is not a commercial. Once the camera is out there in the hands of shooters, I am sure we will see more movie style stuff shot. As it stands there is only a handful of cameras and I do not have the time in my day to shoot everything that people want to see. This was a basketball game. It was shot with the most appropriate frame rates, the best of the two is 720P/60 for sports, live action.

You could use the1080P/25 from this camera and it would look different than the clips that you have online, but then it would look different if recorded on the EX3, if nothing more than the fact that both have to work with a CMOS imager and one has to deal with long GOP in addition. I do find it amusing that now the HPX300 has to compete with an F900 camera. Let me take that Macau shoot on with an HPX3700 or even a 2700 and we can show you some real footage.

Thanks,

Jan

Actually, The GP footage, excluding the first aerial shot, was done...with an HVX200. That's what I'm trying to say here. I'm obviously expecting you guys to deliver with this camera. That's why I do not want you guys to rush it out to the market, being well aware that you have a problem that needs to be addressed. You guys didn't confirm that this problem CAN be addressed- and by the problem I mean the 1080 24p rolling shutter problem vs the Sony one. What I want to hear, plain simple, is this:

"Sergio, our engineers acknowledged the problem, as you could see in the comparison thread. This is indeed fixable in a future firmware update. We can assure you that 1080p 25 will look at least as good as the Sony EX series does, concerning rolling shutter."

Is that too much to ask for?

EDIT- The problem here is simply that this could be an incredible, all round camera that would be a step up in every sense on the sub 10k market. And seeing that due to some unknown blunder, in one of its most important points that use to define Panasonic cameras, and that's on the "filmic, 24p 25p" mode, there's something wrong (NOW).
 
Last edited:
"Sergio, our engineers acknowledged the problem, as you could see in the comparison thread. This is indeed fixable in a future firmware update. We can assure you that 1080p 25 will look at least as good as the Sony EX series does, concerning rolling shutter."

Is that too much to ask for?

At this point yes, they have only started to study the issue. And yet, I think that waving a camera back and forth while showing a greater skew than the Sony, does not completely discount the camera. This is what I mean by having the
camera in the hands of skilled shooters that are really trying to get something out of it. The stuff that Barry and Kevin shot was compromised by their shooting conditions, the stuff that Any shot, was a real lark. He was just shooting some stuff. I am interested in the reults we will see, from guys that are taking the time to work with the camera as it is. That is what we will see initially.

EDIT- The problem here is simply that this could be an incredible, all round camera that would be a step up in every sense on the sub 10k market. And seeing that due to some unknown blunder, in one of its most important points that use to define Panasonic cameras, and that's on the "filmic, 24p 25p" mode, there's something wrong (NOW).

Frankly it isn't a blunder, I think they made some assumptions as they were comparing it to CMOS imagers. Can't tell you what it really is, because it is under study, I am not an engineer. Point is, that until someone can really work with the camera with out the handicaps that Barry and Kevin had, we really won't know what it looks like today. I mean I was expecting something totally different on the Basketball footage. Didn't see what I expected to see, that is, in consideration of the Skew-off. So until I see that it is totally unusable, well we shall just have to wait and see. In the meantime the engineers are studying the issue. I am not convinced think it is totally unusable. Does one have to think about how the CMOS works, yes; will it work in all scenarios, no. That's why we have CCD cameras. Do I think this camera is a break-through, of course. Hang tight until we have cameras out there if you are on the fence. Everything in due time.

Thanks,

Jan
 
Back
Top