Barry's Guide to Love

Barry_S

Moderator
Some of you have been posting and messaging us with questions about whether your planned films fit the theme of LoveFest. First of all, the intent is to give everyone some lattitude to make a wide variety of films, yet still remain bonded together by the theme. In no way are we looking to disqualify any films on technicalities, but if you go too far afield, you may risk losing votes from users that feel your film isn't in the spirit of the fest.

Can I come up with an all encompassing cut and dried definition of love? Since no one's been able to achieve that in 10,000 years of recorded history, I'll take a pass. :) What I can do is give you some examples of what I think is and isn't in the spirit of the theme. After that, you're on your own.


The Good

Romantic love between humans--can't go wrong with this one.

Familial love

Love of pets

Self-love-- you know what I mean, narcissism not onanism

The love of one anthropomorphic thing for another anthropomorphic thing --animated chipmunk loves animated cat, vampire loves werewolf, robot loves robot, etc.

The choices we make because of love



The Not-So-Good

Love of bacon (or other food) -- I know some of you have very strong feelings, but...

The love of killing zombies -- sorry, you'll have to wait for Zombiefest II

Love of inanimate objects -- cameras, pool cues, the internets

Love of sports, hobbies or avocations

Love of driving home without hitting a red light
 
So basically, to clarify and over-analyze even further:

The theme is about the love one being feels for another. The latitude is how the filmmaker defines this "love" and the story the filmmaker tells about it.
 
...
The love of one anthropomorphic thing for another anthropomorphic thing --animated chipmunk loves animated cat, vampire loves werewolf, robot loves robot, etc.
...

I'm sure this is ok ... but just to put it out there since your list only mentioned inter-anthropomorphisized thingy love ... What about trans-anthromopomorphisized love of a human for their robot, dummy, blow up doll, or even table lamp, that they think or hope is either real or capable of returning their love. I.E. King Kong or ...

A.I. / Pinochio

or Mannequin

or

Lars and the Real Girl
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/
20071026ho_lars1_500.jpg
 
Last edited:
I get the feeling (maybe I'm way off base) because of the many questions spawned by this particular festival, that people are trying to come up with some really "original" or out-there storylines.

Most of us (including myself) still have a lot to learn about one of the most important aspects of filmmaking: storytelling. Personally, I would love to see some really well written stories about two people in love. How many of us can take the "same ol' story" and make it great?

I know the concern about this is that we will see a ton of the same films. I disagree. Taking the "same ol' story" and making IT original is a big enough challenge.

I guess my biggest worry is that by trying to push the limits of the theme, the basic story could be lost. I would like to believe that this contest is decided by overall storytelling ability, not how "out-there" you can be.

By no means am I wanting to offend or cause trouble, just a word or two (or more :evil:) of caution.

Happy writing everyone!
 
So basically, to clarify and over-analyze even further:

The theme is about the love one being feels for another. The latitude is how the filmmaker defines this "love" and the story the filmmaker tells about it.

More or less, but the film can also be about the consequences of those feelings.
 
I'm sure this is ok ... but just to put it out there since your list only mentioned inter-anthropomorphisized thingy love ... What about trans-anthromopomorphisized love of a human for their robot, dummy, blow up doll, or even table lamp, that they think or hope is either real or capable of returning their love. I.E. King King or ...

A.I. / Pinochio

or Mannequin

or

Lars and the Real Girl
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/


I don't want to get into splitting hairs here, but yes, something along the lines of AI or Lars... or Pinocchio would be valid themes.
 
Although "The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?"
Was a brilliant Tony and Pulitzer award winning play about a mild mannered architect/father/husband who falls hopelessly and very sincerely in love with a goat.
goatposter.jpg

http://www.billpullman.org/goat/

Sometimes the best way to examine a theme is to push it to its extreme.

I think Albee's argument with "The Goat, or Who is Sylvia" was one for tolerance. I think he wanted to make us sympathize with a man in love with a goat to get the point across that regardless of your lifestyle or orientation, love is something we can all empathize with.

Oh well, its been done before anyway, so no great need for it in our fest :)
 
Back
Top