Bad time for Final Cut Studio 2?

MemphisMourns

Active member
Guys,

I'm still running a dual 1.25 G4, that I purchased about a month before the g5's came out... So now with Final Cut Studio 2 coming out, I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge up to a dual or quad core g5. However, what are the chances that the g6 will come out a month after i finally buy a g5? Anybody have a line on the new Intel Santa Rosa technology that's coming out, and when Mac will be incorporating it? It sounds like Leopard for October, so when are the G6's coming out...? Anyone? Who wants to install FCP 6 on their G5, only to have a the g6's surface...?
 
I think it's pretty safe to assume the G6 will never come out.

Anyway - what? You can reinstall Final Cut on whatever comes out next....?
 
It's called a Mac Pro and it came out last summer... there are no more g5's from Apple (except refurb).
 
Hey thanks guys,

Can't reinstall if you're borrowing the software, or don't hold it in the first place... And, also, I heard that Apple wouldn't name it G6 because of a Pontiac named that?? But let me re-word it for you:

A newly designed tower with some sort of technology that trumps earlier versions...

I actually don't need to borrow the FCP software, if I can help it... I run FCP 3 on my G4 (I know, I know), so I am eligible for the upgrade version to FC Studio 2 for 699... But if I get a new comp, will I need to buy the full version? 1299?
 
You're borrowing the software? What's that mean?

If you own a registered copy of FCP 3, then you can purchase the upgrade which comes as a full set of install discs.

Noah
 
MemphisMourns said:
I heard that Apple wouldn't name it G6 because of a Pontiac named that??
The "G" name was for PPC CPU based systems. When Apple moved to intel they stopped using PPC chips so they stopped the "G" naming convention.

But let me re-word it for you:

A newly designed tower with some sort of technology that trumps earlier versions...
There is always something better, faster, and cheaper coming down the pipe. If you wait as long as you can you'll always get the best value for your dollar. Buy what you need, not what you want.


-A
 
Kind of a derail, but has apple said anything about when in may FCS2 is being released? I havent been able to find anything.
 
It ships May officially- haven't seen a specific day announced. (but I might have missed it)

Noah
 
there haven't been any dates said by Apple officially.... just May

I can't wait for my shipment confirmation email...
 
Hey, thanks again guys. I hate that I'm coming off as one of those guys who asks questions before he does any research...

Buying a brand new 8 core mac pro, wouldn't include any earlier versions of FCP on it. So I'd have to buy the full 1299 version. So I should probably hold onto my G4 since it has FCP 3, and I can buy the upgrade for 699.

It's like releasing a software upgrade will stop people from buying a new computer... If I buy a computer later, but the software upgrade now. I can't install FCP Studio 2 to my new comp when I get one - because I'd only have an upgrade version, right? i gotta go out and buy the 1299?
 
bigbossbmb said:
there haven't been any dates said by Apple officially.... just May

I can't wait for my shipment confirmation email...

Well the expected ship date in the order info is May 31st. Of course, this could be Apple playing it safe, but that is where I got that info from.
 
MemphisMourns said:
Hey, thanks again guys. I hate that I'm coming off as one of those guys who asks questions before he does any research...

Buying a brand new 8 core mac pro, wouldn't include any earlier versions of FCP on it. So I'd have to buy the full 1299 version. So I should probably hold onto my G4 since it has FCP 3, and I can buy the upgrade for 699.

It's like releasing a software upgrade will stop people from buying a new computer... If I buy a computer later, but the software upgrade now. I can't install FCP Studio 2 to my new comp when I get one - because I'd only have an upgrade version, right? i gotta go out and buy the 1299?

Wait I don't understand what you're saying. Do you own a copy of FCP or not? If you do, you can get the upgrade price and it doesn't not require the older version to actually be installed first, just your registration details. It's a full install...

-Noah
 
Noah, this is funny - you are trying so hard to answer my question, and I appreciate it... I just have no idea why I'm being so inarticulate (does this word even apply to typing?).

I currently own a G4 with Final Cut 3. I would be able to purchase an upgrade of Final Cut for this computer (699), instead of the full 1299 version.

I am considering purchasing a brand new Mac Pro. Obviously, a new comp wouldn't have any earlier versions of Final Cut on it. So I would have to purchase the full 1299 version for this computer... right?

That's my question. If I had a g4 with Final Cut Studio 2 upgraded to it... would I be able to put Final Cut Studio 2 onto a new computer once I receive it, without buying any new software? Because if I had purchased the full version instead of the upgrade (for the g4), I wouldn't need to buy any additional software. I could just install it to both comps. But if I upgrade my g4, then buy a new comp. I would be spending more. 699 for upgrade and 1299 for full...

Oh forget it, I don't know how to word it. I'm on too much Vicodin from fracturing my cheekbone... I'll repost the question in a few days lol
 
Yes. But you would need to have owned the first version. In other words you bought FCP and they'll ask for proof when you get the upgrade. You can then install the upgrade on the computer of your choice- one at a time.

But if you just bought a computer that already had FCP installed on it- then no.

Noah
 
Try it this way: when you buy software, what you're really buying is a license for 1 person to use that software at a time. It has nothing to do with the computer; you can uninstall and reinstall on different computers as long as there are not 2 active installations at once.

While some software protection schemes make this complicated, and some upgrades aremodifications of previous installations rather than full installations, Apple is pretty loose with FCP and it is easy to reinstall; and Apple FCP upgrades (at least the major ones like you're thinking of buying) come as complete packages that don't depend on a previous installation. You just have to send proof to Apple that you are legally licensed to use FCP 3, and a check, and they'll send you a full version of FCStudio 2.

Again, it's not clear if you legally own a copy. If you do, it doesn't matter what machine it's installed on. If you don't, Apple won't sell you the upgrade.

-Barry
 
Thanks guys, that answered my question. I do, legally, own a copy of FCP 3. I guess my real question was whether or not an upgrade version was actually a full version software or not...
 
MemphisMourns said:
Thanks guys, that answered my question. I do, legally, own a copy of FCP 3. I guess my real question was whether or not an upgrade version was actually a full version software or not...

Well when you buy a new macpro youll be prompted during the first start up cycle to connect a fw cable to your old mac, when you do all your apps are crossed over to the new mac, so a simple upgrade is all thats needed.

I just got my shiny new mac pro weekend before last and it sits here waiting for the FCS upgrade. Cant wait!
 
ncje said:
Well when you buy a new macpro youll be prompted during the first start up cycle to connect a fw cable to your old mac, when you do all your apps are crossed over to the new mac, so a simple upgrade is all thats needed.

I just got my shiny new mac pro weekend before last and it sits here waiting for the FCS upgrade. Cant wait!

Really? I did not know that. Awesome. But, are they erased from the old machine. I have a Powerbook G4 and plan to still use it for offline edits.
 
Back
Top