AVCHD vs. DVCPRO-HD vs. Whatever DSLRs shoot

mrbrycel

Well-known member
I keep reading that people are wanting to use other systems to record their data through the AF100, is the AVCHD codec that bad?

It has to be better than the codec the 7D/5D shoot right? and how much of a difference is it than what I'm used to with the DVCPRO-HD from my HVX?
 
Most of us who have used the camera, are not concerned with the codec. Philip has a Nano, and didn't even bother to bring it, he shot everything native-codec because he couldn't tell the difference between the Nano and the native codec when he used it last time. The crews.tv guys did a side-by-side with AVC-Intra and even posted stills frame grabs, and showed that the camera's codec is certainly capable of producing very good results. Filippo Chiesa brought a Nano with him on this shoot, I'd be very interested in hearing what he thinks of the two codecs.

The AVCCAM PH mode is not in any way "bad" and it's a definite improvement over the codec in the SLRs. It isn't perfect, and under super-stressful situations it can show some artifacting, but it's certainly more robust and artifact-resistant than the 35mbps codec offered by some of its competitors.

As for how it compares to DVCPRO-HD... pretty evenly, I think, in subjective image terms, although DVCPRO-HD is definitely easier to edit and DVCPRO-HD is already certified and accepted by DiscoveryHD and the BBC; AVCCAM hasn't acheived that recognition yet.
 
Back
Top