Auto ISO/Gain

antonyoung

Active member
Does the AF100 have an Auto ISO or Auto Gain setting? I can't seem to find info on it if it does. If I'm shooting in changing light with my 7D I like to lock the shutter and aperture and let the camera vary exposure for me with Auto ISO. Will this be possible with the AF100, or am I stuck with the aperture and my depth of field varying?
 
Really? Not that I ever need a feature like that for regular shooting, but interesting to know there is not going to be an auto mode.
 
There never has been any sort of auto gain on any panasonic pro camcorder. Except for the worst-case scenario of using the "full auto" mode, but the af100 doesn't have a full auto mode.
 
What about iris level adjust when using Panasonic auto lens like the 14-140 so you can set the auto iris to expose at a lower exposure?
 
>There is no automatic gain or automatic ISO.

Not sure why not. Not hard to implement as most consumer camcorders have it. I even use Auto ISO for stills sometimes if the logic of the camera mimics my own.
 
It's just not something that Panasonic does. Besides, auto iso flies in the face of all smart-shooting logic: ISO changes can often drastically change the look of your footage, adding noise and decreasing detail.
 
What about iris level adjust when using Panasonic auto lens like the 14-140 so you can set the auto iris to expose at a lower exposure?
Yes, there is a scene file menu that lets you tell the auto-iris system that you want it to aim towards under- or over-exposure. There are six steps of each, and each accounts for about 1/6th of a stop, so you can tell the autoiris to bias up to one-stop under, or one-stop over.
 
Yes, there is a scene file menu that lets you tell the auto-iris system that you want it to aim towards under- or over-exposure. There are six steps of each, and each accounts for about 1/6th of a stop, so you can tell the autoiris to bias up to one-stop under, or one-stop over.

thanks good to know
 
I think that due to the DOF using auto-iris on the AF100 probably isn't going to be very smart.

If the camera is used in a "Run & gun" situation it can save your ass. While the AF100 is not the ideal run & gun camera it is good to know what what the camera can do when needed.
 
>ISO changes can often drastically change the look of your footage, adding noise and decreasing detail.

Yes, but nobody would be forced to use it, but could.
 
Back
Top