Attention HorrorFest Windows Users: What are you using to compress your H.264 files?

So lemme get this straight then . . . Sony Vegas 7 will DEFINITELY do a proper H.264 encode, and Sony Vegas 6 can also do it, right? Just make a 400h x 225v 16:9 file in the current version of Vegas, and experiment with quality settings (whatever those are) until you hit <50MB, right?

I don't mind the $30 for QuickTime Pro, I've just heard reports from other Windows users here that they had problems with it encoding their files correctly.
 
I don't still have a 1.5.1 PPro installation on any of my machines, but 2.0 works fine.

You should be able to get a trial version of 2.0 from Adobe which would ingest your current project and allow you to output it correctly. This would be free (at least in terms of actual fiscal expenditures, but certainly not in terms of time).
 
And another thing . . .

What do you use to encode a high-quality, CBR, shot-native 16:9, progressive-scan .m2v file? Premiere Pro won't do it.
 
Rezfactor said:
And another thing . . .

What do you use to encode a high-quality, CBR, shot-native 16:9, progressive-scan .MTV file? Premiere Pro won't do it.

Actually, the media encoder in PPro (all versions from 1.0 forward) will easily accomplish this task. If you need exact instructions, PM me and I can give you a step-by-step sequence to prep the two files (.m2v & .ac3) that you will need for the DVD part of the submission. What you may need to do outside of PPro is the PCM to Dolby Digital (.wav -> .ac3) encoding.
 
Last edited:
Bought QTpro. Have to shoot out to a meeting now.
I am going to encode tongiht/ the morning. Phew! Glad when all this is over!!!
J
 
ezexpress said:
I am using vegas 6.0 and I am having trouble figuring out exactly what to do with the h.264 encoding. I figure I should use the .mov, but I am not sure exactly what to do abouit the 400 lines and the 50mb macimum siz e for the file. I do not see any settings for this in the custom menu. I am guessing that the 400 lines means the width, but other than that I am lost. Can any one tell me exactly which of the custom settings if any I should use to meet these secifications?

I'm in the same boat. Not exactly sure what parameters to use with Vegas 6.0 to get h.264. I'm using Sony Vegas 6.0d.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to have done all of this production, and not be able to get the correct files uploaded.
 
Brandon Rice said:
I am on windows and I use Quicktime Pro.

I'm using Windows and trying to use QT7 Pro for export. I open my project with QT and then go to 'Export'. Whenever I am using the 'Movie Setting' dialog and hit the OK button, QT seems to lock up and my CPU goes to 50 - 100%.

Is this normal?
 
I would like someone to please post their exact settings when exporting a file with QT Pro. I have an uncompressed .avi file that I brought into QT Pro and have been experimenting with exporting it as .mov with h.264 however the file size has been over 100mb even at 400w and 60 quality. -- another question, does the entire zip file have to be 50mb or just the online file?

also i need help with Premiere Pro 1.5.1 as far as the .m2v file goes. how!?
PM's are welcome! THANKS
-kyle
 
Back
Top