Atomos recorders

Me. And I expect it to be the Ninja 3, sometime in 2015, for around $1K (because of no need for SDI, smaller screen, etc). Here's hoping...
 
Me? Oh, definitely... but I also like a small footprint, I'm patient, and it's hard to make me part with my cash. I'm not getting the shogun unless I get a gig that warrants that expense (which I really doubt since my primary job is not video related at all). I could go for a $1K version with a 4" or 5" screen, though.

In any event, the 750Mbps of 4K ProRes HQ makes it somewhat of an issue: I would need a ~500GB SSD drive to shoot 90 minutes of footage (that's the most I have ever shot in a single project), and then a second one if I want to edit from an SSD too (so I can keep shooting small projects while I edit a bigger one). And I wouldn't be able to afford full backups: I'd have to delete everything but the final result once a clip is finished.
Basically, 4K prores HQ is just as data-heavy as the 5D3+RAW (85MB/s). Not looking forward to that. Let me play with internal recording before I decide I need an even better image...
 
It would be nice to have an external recorder which can do 4K-to-2K on the fly and record in a decent 10-bit codec.
 
10-bit ProRes 4444 1080p downscaled from an 8-bit 422 4K signal would be nice indeed, and at 264 Mbps it would solve my heavy-data fears (I would just need two 180 GB SSD drives, one for recording and one for editing; that's $400 less than a pair of 500GB SSD drives, and making backups becomes somewhat easier)

I want a smaller screen (4" or 5") in order to put a loupe in front of it and turn it into an EVF
 
I'm curious about the ability to hook up xlr connected audio (with phantom power) to the Shogun (as they have announced). If it's not too messy in terms of cables, the Shogun could be pretty useful as a monitor capable of recording 4:2:2 HD video already synced with good audio from a shotgun or wireless lavs--not to mention 4K abilities.
 
Personally I'd like a highly compressed (X AVCS or the like) SD-based option for the A7S. I shoot live events and even the AX100's insanely tight 60mbps compression is fine 90% of the time. I suppose by the time a recorder would be available, an A7s MK II and more will be out there anyway!
 
Back
Top