Artifacting

lewie1999

New member
I produce videos that are used as background footage..... a lot of nature scenes and such. Most of my material is used in conjuction with projectors and so they are blown up to large screens. I've purchased an HD100 and have been shooting with it a while now. My problem is that footage that looks great on an HD monitor or tv looks awful on a large screen. The amount of artifacting is unacceptable.

I realise this is to be expected with HDV, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to diminish this problem? I have to compress everything (usually to MPEG, QuickTime, or WMV) so I know that creates some problems, but with the way things are right now, I'm better off shooting on DV. Thanks for any help.
 
Having witnessed HDV blown up to a 50' screen using a first class digital projection system, it looks remarkable. If unacceptable image degradation is occurring, I would suggest first looking at the capability of the projection system or intermediate compression (Quicktime or WMV) as the more likely sources of introduced problems.
 
Agreed with Bod D. Check your projection system and make sure it's 720p. If it's some other Rez then you need to scale in your NLE to that rez and then output. I, like Bob, have seen ProHD projected to screens above 32' with amazing sharpness.
 
Thanks for the input guys. You've helped me narrow the problem down to possibly my encoding. I have to keep my bitrate as low as possible and maybe it's been too low. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top