ARRI Alexa

jrmiller_entertainment

Well-known member
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/arri-alexa-camera-digital-cinematic-bliss/

I don't know much about RED but I feel like this could give it a really good run for it's money. Pro-res right out of the camera? Removable recording media slot for different media? It seems like Arri has thought of everything although I'm confused as to why it comes with SxS recorder instead of P2...for now. It's really worth a read.
 
Last edited:
If it's smaller, works out of the box and works with a friendlier codec than redcode then yeah i think it'll give a red one serious competition, which is needed. Arri the name is also a huge factor.

I mean redcode is sweet, but it's still some steps in between. I liked the gradeability, but redcode is just too much for my tastes.
 
I mean redcode is sweet, but it's still some steps in between. I liked the gradeability, but redcode is just too much for my tastes.

Do you think you could put this into words maybe? I can hardly imagine a better 4k codec. It's wavelet, it's efficient, it's cross-platform...

What would you prefer? Mpeg2?
 
No no no no for me, just for me that's all.

I will never have an application where I work on anything past 1080 finish and even that is rare for me just personally.

I tried working with redcode, I suppose it was the initial break in, it was smooth sailing on adobe and coloring is a dream, but i would like to have prores or cineform straight off the thing, at least I can see how that's appealing, don't you?

Me personally I'd prefer to get my hands on an ikonoskop dii, for me it's a sweet spot. I have lots of access to 16 lenses. I like the concept behind it, and it's straight up dng out the camera. The downside is I'll have to seriously work on my workstation to take that, but it's an adobe format. I like out of the box too.

The alexa and the red one are both catering to a league above mine. All I meant to say is that I can understand that a camera delivering prores or cineform or multiple codecs off the thing is appealing to a consumer and can be a dealmaker if the workload is big enough i suppose.

I haven't had many positive experiences with a red one, but that's just me. It is a great codec and a fantastic machine. And yes, for my tastes, like i said, it is a lot of info. My work is mostly done on SD, I get by ok. I hope one day to get to the point where I require such a signal coming in its nothing but good. But I ain't there yet.

We have to say that a working red one costs 50,000, maybe 30,000. So out of the box matters to a lot of people. By out of the box I mean the price advertised gives you an image. I had to mention that.

And arri's name does count, there's brand loyalty there.

Prores of the cam is appealing.

So yeah I think if those three things are going for it, it could seriously compete with a red one. Size is a big issue I think, a bigger camera is not always good news.

And no i wouldn't prefer mpeg2. If it's all I had then I'd take it. But that's not the topic here.
 
Back
Top