combatentropy
Veteran
This is one of the things that I really dislike about Apple, their take-it-or-leave-it/our-way-or the-highway mentality.
Nerd humor: What If Operating Systems Were Airlines?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
This is one of the things that I really dislike about Apple, their take-it-or-leave-it/our-way-or the-highway mentality.
But will they also support Intel Macs for another few years?
This is my conundrum. I have a 2019 iMac and intend to keep it for five-plus years. Should I buy Final Cut Pro X now? (Version 10.4 came out in December 2017, a long time ago.) Wait for 10.5 if it’s likely to come soon and support Intel?
Choose another NLE to learn?
The opaque future of pricing complicates the decision. Will there be an upgrade price? Will the price change? Will it go to a subscription model?
I guess the video that started this thread proves that Apple intends to move Final Cut Pro to the new architecture rather than dump it..
sort of... the problem is the new MAC-OS will probably only run on the latest Intel MAC hardware. So a lot of the older Intel Mac users will either not be able to update anything or move to new hardware. It went that way in the change from PPC to IntelBut will they also support Intel Macs for another few years?.
This is my conundrum. I have a 2019 iMac and intend to keep it for five-plus years. Should I buy Final Cut Pro X now? (Version 10.4 came out in December 2017, a long time ago.) Wait for 10.5 if it’s likely to come soon and support Intel? Choose another NLE to learn?
The opaque future of pricing complicates the decision. Will there be an upgrade price? Will the price change? Will it go to a subscription model?
Thoughts welcome if they fit the thread topic.
You mean that someone who bought Final Cut Pro at version 10.3 paid nothing to get 10.4?Apple has never charged for upgrades, I don't expect that to change
I agree with that (went through the PowerPC > x86 transition) but don’t much care. Reasons being I’m not a pro and I don’t like being at the cutting edge of any software (or hardware, really). I prefer stuff that just works and has had most bugs and dumb ideas sorted out, plus a good knowledge base online from which to learn. I’ll be ready for ARM-based Macs in maybe five years, not earlier!The problem is many apple apps only work on the latest version of the OS and won't load if the latest version is not detected. So you will find, as we did last time, no matter what anyone says, support for any x86 Mac you have now will start to decline from 6 months after the new ones are launched. How fast it declines and when the end point is will be hard to estimate.
You mean that someone who bought Final Cut Pro at version 10.3 paid nothing to get 10.4?
If I buy 10.4 now, I’d be likely to get 10.5 for free?
That has been past practices and I don't see it changing. But I don't work for Apple so take that for what it's worth.
I purchased FCP X when it first came out and have upgraded for free ever since.
So have i.... Right up to the point where the new version of the OS was not good on my HW and things like the stand-alone CS6 would not be reliable. Then we could not update FCPX or Lighttroom to newer versions. So to get the newer versions of the SW I would have to buy new hardware.... A lot less of a problem and cost with PC's than MAc's
So have i.... Right up to the point where the new version of the OS was not good on my HW and things like the stand-alone CS6 would not be reliable. Then we could not update FCPX or Lighttroom to newer versions. So to get the newer versions of the SW I would have to buy new hardware.... A lot less of a problem and cost with PC's than MAc's
Does Apple ever ever ever have Black Friday sales on software in the App Store? Specifically Final Cut Pro X.
It seems like I remember FCP 7 was like $1,000
Final Cut Pro X is nearly $400 equivalent here in Europe, not $300. That’s real money to me. However, I’ve just seen there’s a 90-day trial. That takes some risk out of this.
There is some sort of Apple press event on 10 November, so we might know more about ARM Macs and maybe even Final Cut Pro in a few days’ time.
If you need a new computer and FCPX right now, I certainly wouldn't wait. The rumor is the first ARM machines are going to be the MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro... neither of which I would consider powerhouse video editing platforms. Obviously if you don't need to upgrade, you should probably wait (but this is true of nearly any hardware upgrade... there's always something "better" coming out).
Final Cut Pro X purchased at 10.0 has been upgraded through the App Store since then for free. 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 were all free updates. I would highly doubt this would change 9 years into it's life.
Since it's a one-time charge, that should take some of the sting out of it. And since the Resolve 17 announcement is on Monday, you might not need to bother with FCP.![]()