Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

I use it for everything, but everything I do is geared towards filmic quailty's.
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

I don't think the 24p look is good for any and all purposes.  There are just some things that appear better when they look interlaced (reality TV, etc.).  I just saw some cooking show ("Good eats" I think) that just changed over to a film look style (I'm thinking they shot with the Varicam, but I could be wrong), and I think it kinda ruined the show a bit.  For one, the intimacy between the host and viewer was lost because it looks like some film, which we are generally conditioned to detach ourselves from.   This is one of main values I see in the DVX; "flip a switch..."
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

I too use 24P in all my projects. But I too only do projects which require a film look ;D
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

I would say 24p isn't good for everything, but i would probably always stay progressive. Interlaced somehow loses so much credibility and looks too much like Uncle Joe's handy-cam...
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

[quote author=THiNSPiRiT link=board=news;num=1077327152;start=0#4 date=02/20/04 at 23:29:05]Interlaced somehow loses so much credibility...[/quote]

...which is perfect for when you need to shoot a soap opera!
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

lolol.. you also need an ulitmate soft mist filter. somothing that makes it look like you were shooting through a foggy shower curtain. :)
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

There's something else?

If by this you were referring to Thinspirit's post, yes the DVX has another mode. You can shoot in 30P, which doesn't have quite the motion blur of 24P, but doesnt have the liquid smooth look of "Uncle Joe's" camcorder. It's a good middle ground if you're unsure of whether or not you want the 24P look.

The only setback is if you were wanting a film print from your work eventually: 24P gives you a frame-to-frame transfer, and 60i gets you a relatively good transfer when they add a 3:2 pulldown to your footage. 30P doesn't blend smoothly enough to get good results on film. If you're staying in video, however, and in NTSC, then this doesn't matter at all.
 
Re: Any1 use 24p all the time for everything?

I use 24PA for everything...ya I said it. I'm a geek. I wish I was shooting everything on 35mm. But I can't. So I pretend.

~cal
 
Back
Top