Any chance for XAVC codec in FS700?

Evgeny

New member
SONY just updated a5100/6000 DSLRs and NX3 camera and added XAVC codec to these cameras.
I was wondering if we'll get XAVC codec for FS700 in upcoming firmware update. Any thoughts?
 
My understanding is the SD Card reader built during the time of the FS700 is not up to spec for XAVC reader from the A6000/A7S, etc. Perhaps through an actual hardware update plus fw update, but at that point Sony would sway you towards a new FS5 :/
 
This has been asked before. And Sony's definitive answer was, "no, not possible with the production hardware". This is one reason the odyssey 7Q is such an attractive option for the FS700. While it doesn't do XAVC, the ProRes option is equivalent, if not better than XAVC-I.
 
I think they definitely could update the FS700 to handle it if they wanted to, but they won't. It kills me, but they won't want to harm sales on the FS5 and FS7.
 
The only updates to FS700 are coming in form of Odyssey 7Q updates. Even though you can still buy new FS700 cameras I would call them end of the line.
 
I'm not certain, but I thought I read that it was the BIONZ X image processor in
these cams (5100 and 6000) that allowed them to get the XAVC upgrade......and
the FS700 doesn't have that processor I don't think. But this is a VERY fuzzy memory
so I could very well be wrong.
 
I'm not certain, but I thought I read that it was the BIONZ X image processor in
these cams (5100 and 6000) that allowed them to get the XAVC upgrade......and
the FS700 doesn't have that processor I don't think. But this is a VERY fuzzy memory
so I could very well be wrong.

Maybe newer sony cameras have new processors, but FS700 is a pro camera, whereas the other ones are consumer. Sure the electronics of the FS700 can handle XAVC with no problems.
 
I think it too. FS700 Can record 240FPS - it's a big pro camera with 4K sensor. XAVC-I it's funny codec like biger AVCHD
 
Fellas, I must tell you that this cannot happen. Purely on a technical level, the FS700 will never be able to support XAVC. I will not go into details as I am under NDA on specifics, but I can tell you that it cannot happen. Simple as that.
 
SONY just updated a5100/6000 DSLRs and NX3 camera and added XAVC codec to these cameras.
I was wondering if we'll get XAVC codec for FS700 in upcoming firmware update. Any thoughts?

A5100 had XAVCs from the start, unlike the A6000. Is why I went for the A5100 (plus.... cheaper!!).
 
Fellas, I must tell you that this cannot happen. Purely on a technical level, the FS700 will never be able to support XAVC. I will not go into details as I am under NDA on specifics, but I can tell you that it cannot happen. Simple as that.
I think this settles it, though I wish it were not the case. Mitch and the guys at Convergent-Design probably know more about the FS700 than most people do.
 
Looks like any further improvements or codec offerings for the fs700 will be by means of something like the odyssey
 
Back
Top