AJ-YAX800G proxy video encoder cost?

Does anyone have any idea what it's gonna cost for the proxy option on the HPX300? I've searched for option pricing with no luck.
 
Hi,

List price is $1260. Keep in mind it only works in 60P, 60i modes. Another way to do proxy is with the Proxy Mill product from Imagine Products, and it will work in all frame rates and will generate proxies as a background task.

Best,

Jan
 
Thanks Jan,

The majority of my shooting is in 60i so no problem there. Thanks also for the lead on the Proxy Mill.

Steve Shelley
Shelley Video Production
 
Got to admit, when I tell my clients and the agencies about the proxy encoder, they will jump for joy. Like I said before, it's the best thing since sliced bread.
 
The proxy encoder card automatically generates MPEG-4 proxies right on your P2 card or, optionally, on the SD memory card. Those proxies can be used by P2 Viewer or other software. A useful aspect of them would be to use them for archiving reference; you could offload all your big MXF video/audio files off to deep storage, but keep the clip metadata and proxy files on your local system. That way, for a very minimal amount of storage space, you could search and reference all your clips online and have proxy files so you could even play the footage. If you find the clip you're looking for, you could then go out to deep storage to retrieve the raw footage.

Having the clips on SD cards lets you hand it over to someone to transmit from the field back to the base station or the web, even from a cell phone. Heck, 320x240 H.264 is probably good enough to even broadcast in some emergency situations...

Normally you can only use the proxy card (with its attendant hardware encoder) on a 5-slot P2 camera, like the HPX2000 and up. The HPX300 lets you use it as well, but takes up one of your two P2 slots. The proxy card isn't available on the HVX/HPX170/HPX500 series.

ProxyMill is a Mac software-only solution that generates proxies automatically from your video footage. It can be set to automatically generate proxies any time a P2 card is inserted in the Mac, and it can even do things like a window burn of timecode in the proxies. I think it takes ProxyMill real-time to run, meaning that it'd take an hour to three hours to create proxies on a 64GB card; the YAX800G is realtime as the footage is shot of course.
 
I will use it for generating dailies for the ad agency. Once the shoot is over, I just hand them the card , they can take it back to the office, view the MPEG's and send me the time codes of the shots they like.

Will the HPx300 accept an SD card for Proxies or only the the Panasonic Proxy card?

Thanks.

Bill
 
Not sure. I know you can do an in-camera copy from the P2 card's proxies over to the SD card and it takes just a few seconds, so I am certain that you could hand the ad agency an SD card at the end of the shoot. I don't know for certain whether it will allow you to generate proxies in both places simultaneously; I would suspect that it would.
 
does the panasonic proxy card work with all frame rates in the HPX3000? I noticed it was mentioned it doesn't record in 24p... is that true for all panasonic cameras?
 
does the panasonic proxy card work with all frame rates in the HPX3000? I noticed it was mentioned it doesn't record in 24p... is that true for all panasonic cameras?

Please read all of the posts in the thread.

Jan_Crittenden said:
Hi,

List price is $1260. Keep in mind it only works in 60P, 60i modes. Another way to do proxy is with the Proxy Mill product from Imagine Products, and it will work in all frame rates and will generate proxies as a background task.

Best,

Jan

I hope this helps.

Andrew Hoffman
Vice President
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858 (US)
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com
 
I was asking because the thread was talking about the HPX300 not the HPX3000 that I have. If this is the case, why create a proxy card that doesn't work with 24p in higher end cameras like the HPX2000, HPX2700, HPX3000? We shoot 24p in AVC Intra on the 3000 and were thinking about getting the proxy card but if it doesn't work in 24p there's no point.
 
I was asking because the thread was talking about the HPX300 not the HPX3000 that I have. If this is the case, why create a proxy card that doesn't work with 24p in higher end cameras like the HPX2000, HPX2700, HPX3000? We shoot 24p in AVC Intra on the 3000 and were thinking about getting the proxy card but if it doesn't work in 24p there's no point.

The proxy card will work in 24P in the bigger cameras, like the HPX3000. The inability of the HPX300 to 24P proxy boils down to a shortage of memory in the unit, I believe, sort of closely tied to the no Dynamic Range Strecth in 24P either. The expensive cameras can do this but the 300 cannot.

So as I said earlier on the 300 if you need proxy, the take a look at proxymill and by the time you have finished you offloads for the day you will have proxies to hand to your client. This does mean that you will be taking a laptop on set with you. This does not apply to the 2000, 2700, 3000, or 3700.

Best,

Jan
 
Last edited:
Back
Top