AG-CX350 - P2 and Zoom Controllers?

Hello,

I wanted to ask Mitch or Barry if they knew anything about these two topics? Is there any kind of rough time frame for the P2 codec firmware release?

The zoom controller situation is still a huge hang up for me and this camera. It is tough for me to believe that a camera geared/popular for sports production had such little thought put towards zoom controllers. As an owner/customer what I am I to do?

I know Mitch stated Panasonic was actively working with manufacturers which shifts the time frame on when "they" can make their new controllers but what about the large number of existing controllers already on the market? Can not they be made to work well? A fair amount of time has passed and I guess I am to the point where I would like some straight answers about the situation.

Thank you.
 
The only ones who know the definitive answers are the engineers in Japan.

What I can say is that they told me back in April that P2 support would be added in a firmware update "in June." That firmware update has not yet been released. You can speculate as to why, but there are no definitive answers.

I can say that I have made very direct statements to them about the zoom remote control, and delineated that the minimum acceptable performance would be comparable to the performance achievable on a comparable Sony model. As to whether they will take that advice, or not, I cannot say. But part of me hopes that the delay from the initially-projected June release might be because they are putting efforts in to rectifying the zoom controller performance. One can hope.

Of course Mitch most likely knows much more than I do regarding the inner workings of the company and what they're implementing and when, but he may not be at liberty to share publicly.
 
The only ones who know the definitive answers are the engineers in Japan.

What I can say is that they told me back in April that P2 support would be added in a firmware update "in June." That firmware update has not yet been released. You can speculate as to why, but there are no definitive answers.

I can say that I have made very direct statements to them about the zoom remote control, and delineated that the minimum acceptable performance would be comparable to the performance achievable on a comparable Sony model. As to whether they will take that advice, or not, I cannot say. But part of me hopes that the delay from the initially-projected June release might be because they are putting efforts in to rectifying the zoom controller performance. One can hope.

Of course Mitch most likely knows much more than I do regarding the inner workings of the company and what they're implementing and when, but he may not be at liberty to share publicly.
 
Bassman, I'm in the same boat as you in regards to the remote controller issues. I have purchased a VariZoom VZ-Rock Lanc Controller and the start /stop recording, zoom, focus, and f-stop controls do work on this controller. They could be implemented better, but at least for now I can have some remote control.

Here is the link
https://www.varizoom.com/product/vzrock/
 
The only ones who know the definitive answers are the engineers in Japan.

What I can say is that they told me back in April that P2 support would be added in a firmware update "in June." That firmware update has not yet been released. You can speculate as to why, but there are no definitive answers.

I can say that I have made very direct statements to them about the zoom remote control, and delineated that the minimum acceptable performance would be comparable to the performance achievable on a comparable Sony model. As to whether they will take that advice, or not, I cannot say. But part of me hopes that the delay from the initially-projected June release might be because they are putting efforts in to rectifying the zoom controller performance. One can hope.

Of course Mitch most likely knows much more than I do regarding the inner workings of the company and what they're implementing and when, but he may not be at liberty to share publicly.

Pretty much on target. These functions are in active development. I will not that for zoom controllers there are two angles of attack underway, one from Panasonic and the other from 3rd party companies with our encouragement.

I cannot give a timeline because we don’t know. And when I say we I’m including the engineers in Japan. They think they have a good guesstimate as to when they will be ready, but it’s not a sure thing so publishing a date at this moment would be inaccurate at best.
 
Thank you for your replies. I hope Panasonic changes my view of the situation towards positive. After 5 years with the best camera I have ever owned (PX270) I mistakenly purchased a CX350 with more brand trust than definitive research. Had I known the current state I would have waited until the camera was finished before buying.

Also, I read three reviews on B&H regarding dust in the lens unit from filming outside. Basically people warning NOT to take the camera outside because dust is getting inside the lens and the camera would need to be sent in for service for it be removed. At least one person saying it was not covered under warranty. Can Barry or Mitch comment on this and is it a real situation?
 
I have seen no evidence of it, and my CX350 was pretty much sandblasted, as I mounted it on our tracking truck to track a rocket launch, we were in the middle of the desert, the wind was terrible, and the camera stayed out there for probably six hours.

I don't know what others have experienced, but that's my experience.

Might want to ask Helijib, I know he shot extensively outside for a tourism video and is currently shooting another nature video, all outside.
 
Great to hear Barry. Thanks. I thought it was odd since Panasonic has made so many cameras of this type. But 3 out of 13 reviews seemed a bit alarming.
 
Those three reviews all appear to have come from the same person. Panasonic has actually been trying to track this down, as we don't have record of this in our service dept. One of our first promo shoots for the camera sent someone down to the jungle in Costa Rica and when she came back the camera was absolutely filthy on the outside. It was exposed to some seriously harsh environments but the sensor and optical path was completely clean.
 
Back
Top