Aftershock Studios' GH13 Test #1

Matt Sconce

Veteran
We took our recently hacked GH13 through a test at Bass Lake, CA shooting under various conditions, trying to overload the class 10 cards we were using. We were originally using setting C, but the full screen rippling water with light reflections at 720p caused 'card write errors' on the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec Class 10 SD card.

We ended up settling on the stable settings under setting C in the 'stable settings' thread. After setting the GH13 to those settings we found that the hack was extremely stable with no mud, banding or noise in both 1080 and 720 AVCHD mode.

We are EXTREMELY PLEASED with the versatility of the GH13 in this incarnation. What a great little camera! It will now tide us over until we purchase a RED.

Here are some BTS pics of the shoot. Matt is editing a video that will come later... We think you will like it... :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Here Matt and Travis Cluff, local director, (and 'Super Shorts' winner of the Show Wipe-Out) stand on a violently swaying dock aiming the GH13 at brilliant reflections in the waters of Bass Lake, CA.
4816350382_a887bf9718_b.jpg


We tried our best to stabilize Matt.
4816349476_1232093796_b.jpg


We then set up a tripod on shore and tested out an Ultratel 500mm F8 reflector lens we will be using in THE PARK, our next feature. It was magnificent! What a great lens. We got it from an old Konica AR camera set up we had. Very clear and shoots amazing telephoto shots. We also tested a Sigma 80mm-200mm F2.8 zoom lens from the Konica AR set, and loved that too. Ha... More arrows in the quiver!
4816349090_f5d9a796e3_b.jpg


The 500mm plus pepsi plus the GH13 makes for a happy Matt.
4815725807_003d565cbd_b.jpg



-Gary Sconce :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)
 
We will post the vid after the AOF fest week. We had a computer crash and were not able to edit the footage we shot. Sorry. :undecided
 
Good to hear those settings worked. I'm just about to purchase a GH1, and have been freaking out about all these things :)
 
bear with me since I've been known to be a dumbass... but you said you "were originally using setting C" and ended up with write errors... but then you said "ended up settling on the stable settings under setting C" and found that it was extremely stable.

I'm reading all I can to get up to speed before I attempt to hack, so can you clarify your "C" settings?
 
bear with me since I've been known to be a dumbass... but you said you "were originally using setting C" and ended up with write errors... but then you said "ended up settling on the stable settings under setting C" and found that it was extremely stable.

I'm reading all I can to get up to speed before I attempt to hack, so can you clarify your "C" settings?

There's a thread for people who have found settings that they think are the most stable, so I assume his revised settings were labelled as C settings, but lower than the c settings in the ptool.

I myself have been running c settings from ptool with 24p AVCD and have had no write errors or playback issues on either of my GH1's
 
There's a thread for people who have found settings that they think are the most stable, so I assume his revised settings were labelled as C settings, but lower than the c settings in the ptool.

I myself have been running c settings from ptool with 24p AVCD and have had no write errors or playback issues on either of my GH1's


+1 on the normal "C" settings not crashing. The other settings are in the perfect project thread I think...
 
Back
Top