AF100 & Tyler Nose Mount?

Ticheli

Well-known member
I had a very unfortunate experience trying to "upgrade" my aerial shooting from VariCam to Red and discovered that the rolling shutter rendered the footage unusable. I contacted Tyler and they told me that, "sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't."

As you might surmise, this is not acceptable; helicopter rental is expensive.

I wonder if Panasonic can strap one of their new babies on a Tyler Nose Mount equipped Jet Ranger and give it a try. If it works, it will be a major improvement over the Red.

What do you think, Barry; would Panasonic give you a nice chopper ride?

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo
 
Hi Leo,

one of my first post here, I normally post on DVinfo.net. I have also been shooting out of R44, H500, EC120, for the last 6 years and agree with you on CMOS problem. Most of the time we use the Sony F800 since it is CCD. It would be nice to take the AF100 and try it on our mount. A few low passes and we would know in 15 min if it works. Also tried the Red One that I owned and no luck it did not work well. We have had luck with the EX1 and EX3 with a few tricks. Happy to give the AF100 a try also if Panasonic is willing to give it a go.
 
Thank you Paul!
Yeah, I had to go back to my VariCam to do aerials. I'm happy with the images, but disappointed the Red failed so miserably.

How about it Jan? Send a camera to Paul for a test?

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo
 
I wonder if Panasonic can strap one of their new babies on a Tyler Nose Mount equipped Jet Ranger and give it a try. If it works, it will be a major improvement over the Red.

What do you think, Barry; would Panasonic give you a nice chopper ride?
Panasonic wouldn't, but I might be able to arrange something like this the next time FlightLine has a chopper job.

But frankly, I wouldn't want to take any CMOS camera up in a helicopter. I actually did have someone take my Red One up in a copter, but the "mount" was a cinesaddle, and the footage is surprisingly usable. I wasn't expecting it to turn out well, but it did. So it is possible, it all depends. And, like you, I can't stomach "it depends" or "maybe it'll work" when the cash register meter is running!
 
Panasonic wouldn't, but I might be able to arrange something like this the next time FlightLine has a chopper job.

But frankly, I wouldn't want to take any CMOS camera up in a helicopter. I actually did have someone take my Red One up in a copter, but the "mount" was a cinesaddle, and the footage is surprisingly usable.

They were probably shooting out the side and I guess that's what made it OK; not as much subject movement in the frame. Sweeping along low with a nose mount, you get very rapid movement in the frame.

Guess my plan to sell the remaining VariCam is on hold! Hate that because it also means supporting the decks!

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo
 
Hi Barry,

By the way nice site.

I have access to a R44 with a custom mount we have been modifying for the past 5 years. It is based on the Aerial Exposure mount with two KS-12 (18lb each) gyros. We changed the base and have a different top plate. Also the suspension system is different depending on the camera used. About to post my new demo this week which has some great footage. You can see my demo from two years ago on the site and other aerial footage.

If you were willing to lend a camera I would set up a second camera to video the whole flight, do a detailed review, and take the audience along for the ride. I am on this site because we are interested in this camera for some tight space shooting with a client for a series of videos. The 7-14mm looks nice. If we could make the AF100 camera work in our machine that would be a bonus and a feather in Panasonics cap. I have always liked the Panasonic look and have rented the 2700 for aerial shoots.

Tricks we do with the EX series is a second isolation pad on the top of the mount. Also you have to go through the electrical system on the machine and make sure there are no interferences. This sounds simple but it took us 10-test flight and a month to solve this problem. You can’t just change something with out FAA approval. It has to do with the radio/gyro interference. Most don’t take the time to solve this we had to for a long term survey contract.

Barry one other point: We use the Nano which is a huge help at the higher bit rates, and the 422 color spacing is a nice bonus.
 
Last edited:
Leo we do shoot out the side with the door off. We worked with Discovery on Lobstermen and were able to fly 35 degree crab at 60 kts pushing the zoom on fly overs. The editor thought it was a nose mount and this was with the EX1. Helps to have 6 years with the same pilot about 50 days a year, we trust and know each other pretty well.
 
You have my respect and admiration!

On my last aerial, after a refueling stop, the engine wouldn't start; "do either of you guys have a hammer?" the pilot asked. I used my Leatherman tool to bang on the starter until the engine fired and off we went. I do confess I spent much of the rest of the job wondering if I could hang out on the skids and hammer away while the pilot was trying to autorotate!

Even though I walked away unharmed, physically, from a little helicopter crash in Korea, I still love to tempt fate.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo
 
Leo it scares me every time, but that is what also brings me back. We autorotate often for practice. Also have floats since we are in Rhode Island and do a lot over the water year round. I have flown with cowboys and don't like it. My current pilot is a still photo guy and has a monitor. I fly on some of the shuttles flights so I know the controls. We talk controls and have fun and make sure the producers keep telling us what they like and don't like. It is all about safety and keeping the client happy.

Crash in Korea yikes that would change my outlook. Glad everyone was OK.
 
They were probably shooting out the side and I guess that's what made it OK; not as much subject movement in the frame. Sweeping along low with a nose mount, you get very rapid movement in the frame.
As a matter of fact, yes, he was shooting out the side...

Guess my plan to sell the remaining VariCam is on hold! Hate that because it also means supporting the decks!
Strap an HPG20 on it and turn it into a P2 camera. Forget the tape, and you'll get higher quality anyway because it'll be full-raster, 10-bit, and AVC-Intra. :thumbsup:
 
I think so Barry. I only do a few chopper shoots a year usually, and it would be good to know if the AF100 is usable or not for those shots period. No harm if I need to do rental for those though, but would be great if someone could do that legwork for me :)

Would be great if you could do some out the door stuff (like I usually do) along with the nose mount though.

Oh yes, little promo - if you guys ever need ariels in Sydney you need me and these guys http://www.blueskyhelicopters.com.au/charter/cinematography.htm

Excellent pilots, excellent.
 
Barry let me know? You could come and sit in the front seat with a monitor. We could run a range of test and push the camera. Feel free to email me if you would like to set up a time when we both could make it.

Ah yes Noel the Cineflex, now there is a nice piece of kit, it rules the skies for video. Luckily we are less then 1/4 the cost so we get the work.
 
I don't have any east-coast plans now, although I did just have to drive through NY to Canada a month or so ago... but there wasn't an AF100 then... If something comes up, I'll definitely look you guys up.

'Course, if you want to fly that copter on down my way, we could get it happenin' a whole lot sooner... :evil:
 
No worry Barry if it works out great. I am on the road a bit in the next month then around a month. Be nice to meet you and see what we could learn.

Jester if you are up for it let me know when you get your camera? What glass will you have with the camera?
 
No worry Barry if it works out great. I am on the road a bit in the next month then around a month. Be nice to meet you and see what we could learn.

Jester if you are up for it let me know when you get your camera? What glass will you have with the camera?

Initially I'm looking at some Panasonic or Olympus zooms and a set of Dulcos Cinemodded Zeiss ZF primes. Then again i suppose we can rent some nice PL glass for a day if needed. Also debating if I need an external recorded right off the bat.
 
I would think would need to rent glass, but then again if we are taking the time it might be worth it. We would want to stay on the wide side. And maybe up to 200mm including the 2x crop. Would be better to have you shoot with the camera for a couple of weeks and get the comfort factor going.

Also something with auto focus and IS to see how it compares with manual. Can’t hurt to check it out.

I have a Nano we could use in Long GOP 100Mb/s and I-Frame up to 280Mb/s.

The camera coming in Dec correct?
 
Back
Top