AF-100 Confirmed List Price: $4,995

Guys, doesn't this remind you of the 5D/7D hype?

I bought into the DSLR craze, and now have a good.... still camera. The 7D sounded great on paper. Once I saw the video on a resolution chart and the moire I went back to the EX1 with a Letus.

The price is great, the specs are great, but I can't get over the fact that this is basically a GH1 setup with modifications. Show me some more real tests and then I'll make some decisions.
 
Abel Cine in New York, if past experience holds true... Even with shipping and exchange it'll be cheaper than local.

G.
 
thanks alot! have to check that out. but very true duke. id like to see some sample footage. i do love the look of my redrock, which is why i am not selling that setup anytime soon.
 
Well I put a lot of respect in Barry's first tests. I've followed a lot of his other tests on different cameras and know he's looking for the same improvements over the DSLR range as I am. In addition, I can cancel my order at any time before they ship if the finished camera tests aren't good. I'm willing to take that risk with what I know now. And, they've already said it is not the same sensor as the GH1.
 
The price is great, the specs are great, but I can't get over the fact that this is basically a GH1 setup with modifications. Show me some more real tests and then I'll make some decisions.


Besides the processing, OLPF and the words of people using it saying it isn't anything like SLR cams?
 
@grimepoch: Barry does a great job and I wish he would have had more time and equipment to test the AF100. Plenty of the concepts are intriguing.

@LoganMackay: People were saying great things about the 5DMk2 when Phil Blooms video came out. Then 24p on the 7D was going to be the great salvation. It wasn't. So a few clips under optimum conditions don't sway me anymore.

I like the concept and the specs of both the Scarlet and the AF100. However, I have the same thought when people tout them but don't own one: "Show me."

There are too many different aspects to a camera to rely on specs or feature lists. Its how all these work together that count. Fortunately, I think it won't be too long until some of those tests come out. :smile:
 
Last edited:
I like the concept and the specs of both the Scarlet and the AF100. However, I have the same thought when people tout them but don't own one: "Show me."

And I think thats a good way to be. 5k is 5k. Not sure about you or anyone else but Im not interested in throwing 5k down a hole. Everyone needs to be pragmatic when throwing down their $$.

I agree with others though, based on Barry's summation, that this will be a kick ass unit.
 
I've already pre-ordered my AF100 and am virtually guaranteed to get one in the first shipment. I think this will be a great cam in so many ways. One thing I'm really looking forward to is shrinking my rig! I'm tired of using a 35mm adaptor and ending up with a bazooka-like camera (as much as I appreciate the kind of quality I can achieve that way). I plan to do some shooting far and away, and I think the AF100 will allow me to bring just about everything I want in pro backpack on a plane. Even just locally it will great to be able to be a one-man camera team (on appropriate projects) without "breaking my back." :)
 
Well I am a very technical person (which is why I get billed as the Technical Director on many projects I am on when I co-DP as well) so I plan on analyzing the hell out of my AF-100 as compared to my 7D :) ESPECIALLY rolling shutter. Why? curiosity. :) I will of course share the less subjective tests.
 
The only situation I don't want to end up with is that I still prefer a 5D2 after using an AF101. So there has to come some serious and aesthetic test films to show what this camera is all about.

It will be better in so many respects but will one prefer it over other cameras?
 
Guys, doesn't this remind you of the 5D/7D hype?

I bought into the DSLR craze, and now have a good.... still camera. The 7D sounded great on paper. Once I saw the video on a resolution chart and the moire I went back to the EX1 with a Letus.

The price is great, the specs are great, but I can't get over the fact that this is basically a GH1 setup with modifications. Show me some more real tests and then I'll make some decisions.
Ha ha...Duke. Put your EX up againts a hacked GH-1. I think you'll be suprised there also. I expect the AF to be that much better.
 
Guys, doesn't this remind you of the 5D/7D hype?

I bought into the DSLR craze, and now have a good.... still camera. The 7D sounded great on paper. Once I saw the video on a resolution chart and the moire I went back to the EX1 with a Letus.

Are you serious? Did you actually make any shorts with the 7D? Most people who make claims like this actually discovered that, even with a 35mm sensor and gobs of light sensitivity, they're films still look low-budget. So their only logical explanation is that must be the moire and the aliasing... and... "Oh look at that resolution chart! No wonder my films don't look professional!"

DSRL's shine in the hands of talent... and now that most everyone has shot on one (and got poor results due to their lack of vision) the bashing has begun. "They only have 7-stops of dynamic range!" "They don't resolve full 1080 lines!" It's all BS...

The DSLRs are so much more camera than most people will ever need. And so is the AF-100... I guarantee people will start bashing it too once they shoot with it and their footage still looks like it was shot by their mom with a handy-cam.

"Why doesn't my footage look pro! Damn it... I can't use aliasing as my scapegoat again... ummm... well... it must be because it's not 10-bit... yea that's it... I NEED 10-bit FOOTAGE TO LOOK PRO NOW!!!"
 
Last edited:
LOL....point taken bwhitz.

But to be fair Duke aint no rank amateur (not that you are saying he is). You are right though....people will always find something to complain about.
 
LOL....point taken bwhitz.

But to be fair Duke aint no rank amateur (not that you are saying he is). You are right though....people will always find something to complain about.

Yea, it wasn't aimed at him directly. I was just saying that generally... "Those who can't... complain."
 
(Thanks Ian-T. I haven't seen you in awhile.)

The DSLRs are more light sensitive and do great when shooting things with soft edges like people. (It also depends on what you want to do with the final output.)

If you have no budget a bad shot is just going to cost you some time. The problem is, when you're paying a room full of talent you can't afford to reshoot everything because of a pattern that repeats at the wrong frequency for your camera ruined the shots.

Consistent results are vital. I'm hoping for no/extremely low moire, noise, etc. I just want to see the tests. (Especially since the Scarlet just went up another $1,000 and has doubled in price from when it was first announced, with another delay.)
 
If Panasonic made an HD-SDI recorder for 2K they'd sell like hotcakes.

Instead they're gonna make the nanoflash guys really rich.
 
Pre-order sale

Pre-order sale

CinequipWhite is doing a pre sale for the AF100 and are giving a sweet deal if you call on the phone.

Also on their blog: cinequipwhite.wordpress.com

Hope this helps someone!
 
The only situation I don't want to end up with is that I still prefer a 5D2 after using an AF101.

Why would you prefer using your 5D MkII over the AF100? Shallower DOF? Well the 5D will always beat that AF100 in that...there's no way around it. But why would you need that shallow DOF? It's an artistic option, but it doesn't look like film. I just wrote an article about this: There is Such a Thing as “Too Shallow”

As long as the camera performs in par with previous Panasonic models, I'm confident that the only times I will defer to my 5D is for specialty shots. i.e. very shallow DOF, super small locations, discrete shooting, etc.
 
Back
Top