'Aetas' - an Epic Medieval Tale

Does that mean I have a shot!? :grin:
I've yet to enter any of my films into Festivals, not counting DVXuser. I should probably give it a try.

I wouldn't sweat it though, keep trying! You'll get into a few for sure. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Mike

I just mean I think many fests will choose something that speaks to their sensibilities before they will pick something that is shot well.

The reason why you see some really crappy films at some really good fests is because of PERSONAL CONNECTIONS. Film fests get so many submissions, and they have years worth of personal favours to repay. So they fill up 80% of their programming with the films from filmmakers they know personally or have some other obligation to support. Which leaves VERY little room left for the "completely unknown" films that might deserve to be programmed. I hate that part of the process...but then I put myself in their shoes. If I was running a festival, wouldn't I also give special consideration to the filmmakers I've come to admire and know personally?

That said, I'm all for keeping a "list" of the people who rejected you, so when you're rich and famous you remember who they were. ;-)

The reason why you see some really crappy films at some really good fests is because of PERSONAL CONNECTIONS. Film fests get so many submissions, and they have years worth of personal favours to repay. So they fill up 80% of their programming with the films from filmmakers they know personally or have some other obligation to support. Which leaves VERY little room left for the "completely unknown" films that might deserve to be programmed. I hate that part of the process...but then I put myself in their shoes. If I was running a festival, wouldn't I also give special consideration to the filmmakers I've come to admire and know personally?

That said, I'm all for keeping a "list" of the people who rejected you, so when you're rich and famous you remember who they were. ;-)

I am definitely a fan of the shit-list. :)

What I keep wondering is if the growing means of web distribution is going to kill most fests out there. Seems like there are a million fests now that you've never heard of, and it's hard to imagine the benefit of going to most of them anyway, if you could reach many many more people over the web.

I totally agree, Mark. The fests were originally a means for unsold films to get seen and find an audience. And especially with short films, the biggest reason to get them into a fest was simply to get new filmmakers seen (shorts were never really "sold" anyhow). So now filmmakers don't need fests to get sold (they can self-distribute with the advent of DVD/Blu-Ray and the Internet)--remember than 15 years ago, you needed a theatre to exhibit you and 35mm print (unless you were happy enough with VHS!). And shorts, well, we know that a good short can get seen by a million people online. No fest in the wordl could offer a filmmaker's short that kind of audience. Even if your short is seen by more than 500 people, you're probably doing better than any fest, as far as exposure.

Oh, and I will say that one thing big fests do offer is the pedigree--you know you can put on your resume or on the DVD cover that your short was at Cannes. But I think in the not so distant future, there will be the equivalent honors from online exhibition. I mean, there's no reason that Sundance or Cannes or some new, respected programming committee can't give you a special award or recognition for an online screening. It's about being selected, not where or how it was exhibited that carries any weight.

(And I'm not saying that going to a great fest still isn't worth it--big screens with big audiences is fun--but I think the importance of a fest for reaching audiences and establishing a career is waning.)

Just caught up on this ... sorry for the frustrations, Shawn. Berlin ended up being rejected by about 50% of the fests it went to ... then ones it DID get in, it was very well rec'd, but others it just couldn't even get in the front door.

I'm buried at the moment, but plan to look at the Without A Box site again in the next month or so, to see what else I may want to do some rounds in. One thing I HAVE learned, is that I'm going to do early bird special, or nothing. No sense in paying premium dollars because I didn't get it in earlier ... not for a short, anyway.

I'm a little late coming in with this. I only just saw the film. Watched it through a few times. Very well shot, wow! Great locations, I loved the foreign (latin?) dialogue. Great. The masked guy gave a "Pans labyrinth" vibe - which was cool, I loved that film. The acting was great, this was a very well put together short. Great score, very very nice work.

Please let me know how this goes with other film festivals...I can't believe it didn't get into the festivals you mentioned, this is a really quality short, makes me wonder what would possibly get in! Ahh!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in!

Back