A7S with alpha adapter = shutter locked in auto for movies

cgalgon

Member
I've been testing out an A7S and loving it. However, I just tried connecting an alpha lens with an LA-EA2 adapter and am finding that shutter speed is locked to auto for video. I've never had this problem on my dedicated Sony camcorders (FS100, VG30). Anyone with an LA-EA4 still have this problem? If so, what the hell was Sony thinking?
 
I haven't tested the adapters yet, but the BTS of Den Lennie's shows him with a number of A mount lenses. But he's using the LAEA4, which is the adapter specifically made for the FE cameras and the one Sony recommends. Your limitation might be because of the LAEA2, which has been replaced by the LAEA3 & 4.
 
Last edited:
I haven't tested the adapters yet, but the BTS of Den Lennie's shows him with a number of A mount lenses. But he's using the LAEA4, which is the adapter specifically made for the FE cameras and the one Sony recommends. Your limitation might be because of the LAEA2, which has been replaced by the LAEA3 & 4.

Thanks photochris. I should have mentioned that my problem only occurs when set to AF. Looked up Den Lennie's article and he proudly announces in comments that he's MF-only. (I'm an event videographer and use AF frequently.) I emailed Sony customer support but no help. Ordered a used LA-EA4 from Amazon and will find out soon what's going on. Will post back when I find out...
 
Aaaand I've received and tried the LA-EA4 and am still forced into full auto mode while using autofocus in movies. Truly hard to believe that Sony would cripple the camera this way after all the hype. I may be able to sidestep the problem by using an external recorder, but that's really no fun.
Is there no one else on this forum who can corroborate this problem?
 
Back
Top