A wide, fast lens with AF support?

I'm considering a Tokina 11-16 with an Le-a2 adapter on my FS700 but can't confirm whether autofocus is supported yet. Anyone know? If not, is there a wide option that does have good AF?
 
Do you need zoom or can you use a wide prime lens, like the Sony 16mm f2.8? It can be purchased new for less than $250. And since it's E-mount no adapter required.

Dave
 
None of the SLR style lenses are particularly good at auto focus for video, nature of the beast, those lenses are for stills. The e mount dedicated lenses are smoother for auto focusing on a continual basis. Of course auto focus and video is pretty hit and miss at the best of times.

However you should be able to do one shot focus through the LA-EA2 adapter. Certainly my ZA zooms (and the 16-35 is an excellent lens if that is wide enough?) support one touch focus. It will also attempt to autofocus but moves in stops and starts, not smoothly. Also the LA-EA2 requires the lens be stopped down to f3.5 for autofocus, which may negate your fast comment!

Is autofocus really needed? If not you can consider some older SLR style zooms combined with a speed booster which would take an f2.8 zoom down to an f2.

Or the new Sigma f1.8 zoom which is getting good press. I don't know if they plan an a mount version though...

cheers
Paul
 
Is autofocus really needed? If not you can consider some older SLR style zooms combined with a speed booster which would take an f2.8 zoom down to an f2.


cheers
Paul


Right now I'm still leaning toward the Tokina 11-16, but without worrying about autofocus. Someone has a Nikon version locally and I have an adapter. I think I can stop the Tokina down a bit and get enough depth of field to make focusing less of a concern. Main use for this is on a stabilizer.
 
Do you need zoom or can you use a wide prime lens, like the Sony 16mm f2.8? It can be purchased new for less than $250. And since it's E-mount no adapter required.

I have a Sigma 19mm F 2.8 I use for a wide right now, was looking for something a bit wider.
 
Right now I'm still leaning toward the Tokina 11-16, but without worrying about autofocus. Someone has a Nikon version locally and I have an adapter. I think I can stop the Tokina down a bit and get enough depth of field to make focusing less of a concern. Main use for this is on a stabilizer.

It's a solid performing lens and if it's for a steadicam style arrangement that would work well.

One other thing to consider on a steadicam is some kind of emount autofocus lens. The benefit is the focus movement is smoother and very much depending on what you're shooting you may get results. For example i've had that sigma 19mm f2.8 on a jib so that it auto focuses as it's moved down. For that shot it worked well, it tracked the subject properly and there was no way to focus manually. I'm not sure whether you can program focus moves on the fs series? I seem to remember doing that on an EX1.

I think this is a big area for future development - programming focus moves, better object tracking and wireless control of lenses.

cheers
paul
 
It's a solid performing lens and if it's for a steadicam style arrangement that would work well.

One other thing to consider on a steadicam is some kind of emount autofocus lens. The benefit is the focus movement is smoother and very much depending on what you're shooting you may get results. For example i've had that sigma 19mm f2.8 on a jib so that it auto focuses as it's moved down. For that shot it worked well, it tracked the subject properly and there was no way to focus manually. I'm not sure whether you can program focus moves on the fs series? I seem to remember doing that on an EX1.

I think this is a big area for future development - programming focus moves, better object tracking and wireless control of lenses.

cheers
paul


It's great to know that the Sigma is capable of auto focusing fast enough for the move you described. I'll be doing similar jib shots on an upcoming feature and will need that capability.

Picked up a used Tokina today locally for $325 and so far it's looking great. Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow when a Blackbird stabilizer arrives from B & H.
 
Sigma 19mm is the worst choice for stedycam , why ? something is wrong with autofocus I have secand one ,and it is the same story . It looks like to jiggle when I using auto-focus . It is not disaster , but any way I see it later when I watch it . Problem completely disappear when I take steady shoot ( monopod) . So far I prefer sony18-200 for Steadicam , with this lens I do not see any issue ( autofocus). At now I thinking to get zeiss 12mm for steadycam , but I heard autofocus is loudly . How much ? I do not know . I wish to know . Is anyone has zeiss 12mm ?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top