A New Toy

Re: A New Toy

First i'm going to kill the link for the 20 meg vid, don't want to do it now as to cut off anyones download. I caught sh*t for it being too big, so i uploaded 2 smaller ones, one in wmv. and a mov. the new link is here, and the vid is named enc.
http://www.dvpromotion.com/focus.htm

Don't want to get my ass kicked from my web provider either.
In response to the last 2 replies--- noise is minimal, with the final gear setup i have coming you probably will have to look at it to see if it is running. I will try and post some more shots of it as i go, when i feel it is getting closer to the final setup. Yes, that was the manual control you are seeing, and that was what the guys really wanted with this, almost works too good, very sensitive, so i had to write in some variables in order to control that. It will be user selectable. The control knob can go where ever you want it to be, i will provide the hardware for that. The manual control will be seperate from the main unit, so you will the option of where it is best suited for your application.
Will it be useable with the big lenses? Lets put it this way, it would of been way easier to make this work with a standard 35mm focus setup. With the dvx i have had to deal with the fact there is no start and end point to the focus mechanism, and the real estate is very small in order to work the focus ring with a motor. But it was a challenge and decided to go for it. The gear ratio is the industry standard at .8 gear pitch that will work with most lenses on the market. As far as the mount for that? I can make one easily enough, but since this is a custom product, i will have to wait and see what people actually want. I just wanted to get this working for the dvx in general, whatever happens after that, i will deal with as i go. I want this to be perfection, so i am currently looking at moving to a smaller motor with a higher resolution than the one you see in the vid. Also, currently i am running it off a 12 volt supply, which seeems to be pretty common-place these days for portable shooting, but may offer a different format. Again, just trying to give the users what they want.
If this goes good, i already have plans to work on an auto-focus system using laser measurement technology to interface with this. But it won't be cheap. One exsists already on the market, but you can't buy it, and you have to put down 100 G just to rent it. Anyway, if it sells or doesn't, it has been a great experience. Just wish i had a R+D team here !
 
Re: A New Toy

Latest vid looks awsome! Can't wait to see it finished an in action. Thanks for hearing the cry of the common-man DVXuser and implementing a manual control. This is the focus mechanism I'm waiting for! :)
 
Re: A New Toy

Kelly,
Test looks great!!! Sign me up when you go live.
Really need it for my glidecam set up.

Will the kit include the baseplate and rails...
 
Re: A New Toy

In response to Taylor about the rod setup, i had planned to make this a complete package, as being you could just put on the focus ring gear, attatch the cam, and you are ready to go. But with this being a custom product, i will dealing with potential buyers individually to determine their needs. If you already have plate/rod hardware, then that would be your call if you don't want it included. I am trying to be as flexible as possible with this whole thing, because i am just a little guy in a big world of camera accessory manufacturers. I am willing to take personal responsibility to make sure you are getting something you will be happy with. As, if i wouldn't use it myself, i would not sell it.
And Terry, thankyou for the interest, hopefully i can make the "weight" factor satisfactory for you guys, it is something that i am trying to keep to a minimum. Thanks for the link, Yeah i knew there would be competition coming out the woodwork for this type of thing, it is a very marketable product for use with the dvx, as people want the same type of accessories that are available for the big film cams. I don't claim to have the original idea on this, but hopefully mine will be a "step above" what others will be offering, but who knows. I am interested to see what they have to offer myself, and if it doesn't cut it, then maybe i'll be able to charge even more for mine !
Just kidding, my intention was to keep this affordable.
 
Re: A New Toy

Hey Kelly,

Although it wasn't readily evident, I found out that the Varizoom 'Remote Electronic Focus' system is actually a WIRED system.

So, you still can be one of the first to offer such a unique product (wireless) for the DVX while giving us a great price.  ;)

I bought a Varizoom WIRED focus system for 'broadcast' lenses to fit on my jib because I need it now.

However, I'm still very much interested in a wireless system for the DVX and for 'broadcast' lenses on a Steadicam.

thanks,
Terry

FWIW, The Varizoom Wired Remote Focus system allows for four programmable presets and also has manual control. It sells for $650 with all necessary components.

Apparently, I'll be the fifth customer to have one as it doesn't officially unveil until NAB.

I'll let you know what I think about it once I get it and run a few tests.
 
Re: A New Toy

Kelly,

Can you elaborate on your description of the manual control part. It sounded like you were saying that it would be sort of like a rocker or shuttle wheel, where how far you turn it is how fast it goes.

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but, I find the focus wheel on a manual follow focus to be a good design, because you can see the marks you want to hit on the wheel itself. That way, you don't inadvertantly speed past them if you have a fast pull.

Here's a link to something similar to what you are working on:

http://www.abelcine.com/Benz_Heden/

Though it looks like this one runs 2 grand and up.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Justin
 
Re: A New Toy

Been re-writing the software GRRRRRRRRRRR !! Yeah, i know, you can put away the violins now. Anybody here ever take calculus in school, then you can feel my pain. It's not pretty.
I am familiar with the heden controllers, they are excellent, professional focus,zoom and iris products used in the pro circles. The 2000 will get you a basic 1 channel transmitter and receiver for wireless use. But you will also have to buy the motor, which can run from 1800 to 3000. And there are cables, etc. to go along with it on top of that. They do however allow you to use other brands of motors, which are probably less money. The manual control i have designed is probably a little on the unorthadox side than most people are used to, it is a knob you turn, but works like a shuttle, so it is not markable. You basically set your focus marks in memory to the controller, and instead of looking at a ring with a mark on it, you just manually pull up to your stored mark, which will stop there automatically if so desired. So,you don't have to worry about going beyond the mark. All marks are set in a numerical value, so you can gauge your movement to the mark from the lcd readout.
Hope this clears up what you were concerned about.
And thankyou for the compliment, i'm on a mission now to complete this.

And from as of now, i will not discuss the sale of this any longer here, as i don't feel it is right to use this forum as a marketing tool. I orginally wanted some professional user input from the dvx guys here for what i was trying to do, and i want to keep it to just that.
 
Re: A New Toy

Hey Kelly,

I hope you continue to post updates here regarding your progress, etc.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using this forum to let us know of your product (which, of course, is made for the DVX).

Good grief, Rush at EVS starts whole new threads to let us know about his going on vacation and toll free numbers for Canadians, etc. ;)

If you don't post here, do you have a website so we can check on your progress?

Terry
 
Re: A New Toy

Guess i should of clarified my situation a little better. I was only referring to the actual " business part " of the thread, in regards to the actual selling of the unit, if and when it happens. EVS is a little different, as being a sponsored connection ( correct me if i am wrong ) to the forum. So, that would give them the right to do that, and to deal with customers here. If everything goes right, maybe i can get a review done here once i have a viable product. I will still be posting progress here, and to get some more input once i start the final assembly and testing. The business end will be done from my site with a tutorial, etc.
By the way, i didn't like the shuttle idea, so i have moved to having the manual control mimicking the exact operation of using a manual follow focus knob. If you move the knob a quarter turn, the focus ring will move the same distance, so the movement of the focus ring will match exactly to the movement of the manual knob. The only difference is that with mine, you can free-wheel it for fast pulls. Kinda like the focus mechanism itself, it has infinite rotation,and the contoller will be defining the rotational limits. Sound more like what you are looking for?
This is the " ONE AND ONLY" forum for the dvx as far as i am concerned, that is why you have only seen this here.
 
Re: A New Toy

[quote author=Terry_Lasater link=board=news;num=1074845388;start=25#49 date=03/18/04 at 09:04:11]
Good grief, Rush at EVS starts whole new threads to let us know about his going on vacation and toll free numbers for Canadians, etc.  ;)
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D I love this Site ! ;D ;D ;D
 
Re: A New Toy

:) Terry, I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. ;D I mean, here I am reading all this tech stuff about a cool new product, and BAAAM, right there, a reference to my vacation post. It was so funny I had to call my wife in the computer room...
 
Re: A New Toy

Hey guys ! Had taken a little break , kinda getting stressed out, and don't want to wind up in rehab over this. ??? A question for glide-cam/steadicam. etc. operators like taylor, elvis or terry.
When you are shooting using the focus control, would it be beneficial to have a run/disable switch beside the manual control??
This would stop any accidental movement of the manual knob due to your movement of the stabilizer, or do you always feel it has to be "on" , when you are filming? It would be just just a small fingertip switch beside the the knob to activate. And then you know the focus is locked until you want to use it again. If you think this would be a hassle, then i have another way to go around it, but is very complicated .
Since i have never used a stabilizer, i have no idea what is involved, but i can imagine that accidental movement of the knob would be a major issue. This is a tough one to get around, and if i have to put in a " move buffer" i will, if it is really justified.
I personally think the run/disable is a good idea, but i know you guys have a lot to deal with overall when shooting, so i don't know if having an extra switch to deal with is going to be a problem.
 
Re: A New Toy

Oh Shitski, almost forgot, i already have a user selectable setting for the manual knob that can help this a little. It is like a sensitivity control that reads the amount the knob has to be turned before a value is read, but unfortunately also determines the overall speed of the motor, kinda like changing gears in your car. It will still not stop accidental movement if over that range, but will help for little jumps and bumps. Like maybe a 10 degree movement at max.
Maybe this is good enough? The lower the sensitivity, the farther you have to crank the knob. For every upside there is a down.
 
Back
Top