A DVX Wedding.

Brett

Well-known member
I showed some friends of mine a demo reel that I put together for my films and such.. the next think I know im getting a call to do a wedding because they heard I do great work.. I find it very hard to not say no to anyone, especially when it involves money, because im broke in every way.. Ive never done a wedding before but im sure its nothing but technical and artistic shots. I did a search because I have seen some really amazing wedding reels, but I cant seem to find the ones I loved. any advice would also be greatly appreciated if your video expertise consists mainly of weddings. thanks all
 
Yea, get lots of B-roll, and really think about your setup for the main parts of the wed... ceremony (isle shots, bride walking, groom, audience shots) and reception (cake cutting, dances...etc)

B Roll is a life saver but can't fill in for those must-have shots...
 
Ask the Bride what she wants and then make sure you get those shots. The kiss, cutting the cake etc. You only get one shot at it so you have to be ready. Plan it out in advance. If you can it is a good idea to go to the church or where ever the wedding will be and do a few test shots if you have never been there. Shoot as much as you can. Take extra batteries and tapes. A back up video camera. Any camera is better than nothing.
 
Tell me what you guys think.. first Wedding

Tell me what you guys think.. first Wedding

you guys critique my work. This was my first wedding for a friend of mine.. I honestly dont plan on doing another one, its just not my cup of tea. I think it turned out decent.

http://www.vimeo.com/8328739
 
Good work. The vignette was a nice touch; did you use an adapter or was that done in post? I ask because a few of the shots seem a bit soft.
 
looks nice man. i did a wedding also for a friend...swore never to do it again. Somehow i got wrapped up in another one july coming....after that, no more! one was enough for me. As with you...not my cup of tea

Looks good though. you better believe when other people see this they will be asking for more. I've turned away about 3 couples after they saw the one i did.
 
Last edited:
question: how do u get that aspect ratio? how do u frame for it while shooting and also how do u add it in correctly in post?
 
thanks andy. exported it using Adobe Premiere High quality wmv video. never really used vimeo before... was BLOWN away by the quality.. if I could get that quality on youtube I would
keep my DVX FOREVER!
 
oh sorry Jambredz I overlooked you. i just added in 16:9 bars in post and stretched them where
I wanted them, most of my shots were handheld I shoot squeeze mode so thats really
all I do to fram my shots using the guides on screen. idk if that answered your question..
but im right there with you.. the moneys not bad.. but in all honesty.. one wedding is
enough for me. I hope noone askes me to do another.. knowing me Ill most likely accept..
I seem to have the problem of not being able to say no to people. lol
 
Rule #1 Get a clean, continuous shot of the ceremony. Just a nice centered wide shot of the
bride, groom and priest. Don't get fancy. Keep the camera still, no zooms or pans. Once you've
done it a few times, you can anticipate the action and move the camera. But since this is your
first time, lock off the shot and step back.

Rule #2 Shoot "everyone" at the wedding. I can't stress this enough. If there's 400 people
you can be forgiven, but if it's an intimate wedding of 100 or less, you need to get shots of
all the guests.

This is because no matter how well shot it is, no matter how good the editing, if you didn't
get a shot of "Uncle George" or "3rd-cousin-twice-removed-that-just-flew-in-from-Germany"
you'll be in trouble. At the reception, just go to every table and quickly get everyone waving
at the camera. You can then do all the artsy shots you want.

Good luck! For those, like myself, who don't normally shoot weddings, they can be more
stressful than being embedded in Fallujah :)
 
thanks for the advice! I honestly dont EVER plan on shooting another wedding.
I did this because the mother knew I shot films. So she asked me if I could film her
daughters wedding. you are right, It was very stressful... I just hope noone sees what
I filmed for her, and asks if I could shoot one for them..
 
Back
Top