A DIT's Take on the F3.

I think Tom is pretty hardcore. I shot nothing but the original Red sensor for 2 years, got used to that, and have yet to spend much time with the MX.

Any of these cameras that are 57-63db S/N at 0 gain are a huge step forward to me...so I'm not gonna cry is the noise climbs up to original Red levels at 1600ISO, knowwhaddimean?

In retrospect, that original Red made really nice images, but it HAS been surpassed by a few cams in 2-3 years time.
 
I think Tom is pretty hardcore. I shot nothing but the original Red sensor for 2 years, got used to that, and have yet to spend much time with the MX.

Any of these cameras that are 57-63db S/N at 0 gain are a huge step forward to me...so I'm not gonna cry is the noise climbs up to original Red levels at 1600ISO, knowwhaddimean?

In retrospect, that original Red made really nice images, but it HAS been surpassed by a few cams in 2-3 years time.

Red 1 M footage, even that shot a couple of years ago, looks totally different processed with the latest Red color science and software than it did two years ago. Doesn't look like it came from the same camera. Red 1 M with the latest camera firmware and post software has easily gained between 1 and 2 stops more DR compared with earlier software. Meaning it has gone from a 9-10 DR camera to around a 12 stop DR camera even without the MX upgrade. MX bumped it another 1-1/2 -2 stops.
 
One of my favorite movies (Aliens) is grainy as hell, didn't take away my enjoyment of it. I also shoot 18db on the EX3 all the time but I only have myself to impress. :) I do look forward to being able to shoot 18db on a F3 like camera and have the images look so clean. That will please me greatly. That is all that is important to me.
 
And pleased you Willllllll be.

Tom is a grain nazi. I on the otherhand think 18dB looks amazing. It looks rich and the grain is small and tight like ex1/3 grain. It looks like film grain....
 
thank you very much.

currently in preproduction on a 6 ep drama series.

im the colorist, and i'll fwd this to my DP asap.

by the sounds of it we're going to be shooting Nano.. i really wish a Ki Pro mini was available.. i want 10 bit.
 
8 bit off a nano is not the problem a lot of people make it out to be. Should be fabulous as it is off the EX1/3.
 
Back
Top