5d3 vs 7d2 for video

ggrantly

Veteran
I'm new to shooting with a dslr for video. Could anyone enlighten me which would be better for general purpose (corporate) video? For now, I won't be using ML and understand that isn't even an option for the 7d2. I would be using either dslr as a B-cam (or beauty shots) to a more traditional handycam.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Grant
 
7D2, is much better overall, except when you need to do wide shot since it is a APS-c camera, but there are cheap wide APS-C lens

Also 7D2 have a much better focus system during video mode. 5D3 's focus is so slow is near un-usable.
 
FWIW, I purchased a 5D mkIII new when it came out, and still have it. I have access to what some would consider better cameras than the 5D mkIII, but it is still my tool of choice for many projects. Especially when space is limited and you need a background blurred that a full frame camera can do so well. Using ML raw is a great addition to the camera. And it still shines as a still photo camera. Downside would be no 4K video. As far as focus issues go, I use manual focus for 99.9% of all my work so any auto-focus issues are a non issue to me. If you have the budget you might research the new replacement 5D mkIV.
 
David,

I shoot stills quite a bit and own both with glass. I'm just now imagining using one or both for video for the same reason as you. Don't much care about 4k just now. What's it like shooting stills with ML Raw. I'd install it if I was very confident that my stills options wouldn't be compromised since the 5d3 fits my needs extremely well as a still cam. Is there a lag when waking from sleep? I've heard that. Any other downsides for stills?
 
5d is obviously better...7d only has video af
For stills if 5d is not good enough for you, you hasve...f...high expectations of a camera. For sports 7dii would be the better choice, but if you needed the fps of 7d you already would have made your choice
If you go with 7d...you may wanna consider 80d. A bit better in everyway..except weathersealing and fps
 
Aras said "For stills if 5d is not good enough for you, you hasve...f...high expectations of a camera."

In fact I did say that the 5d3 fits my needs extremely well and that I didn't want to compromise that.

Srancali said "I would get a sony a7sii over both canons".

I'm not interested in changing camera systems, I'm interested in which of my existing canon cams might work out better.

Common people, read the thread, make quality comments.

Grant
 
Grant, I don't recall any issues with waking from sleep. But then when I'm working my camera never sees sleep. And you can always disable or remove ML if needed. Or choose not to run it at all.

Since you already own both cameras with glass, if it were me, I would use both depending on the situation.

Either camera is capable of making pretty pictures, and they cut together very well.

Dave
 
Back
Top