501HDV vs. 503HDV

iFILM

Active member
so for my tripod situation it has boiled down to this battle... 501HDV or 503HDV
being that i am a student filmmaker and have absolutely NO cash i am looking for the best option at the cheapest price as it took me nearly 2 years to save for my DVX.

i was orriginally looking into the 501HDV but then I saw the 503HDV and the question came... should I invest in the 503? does it REALLY make a big difference?

also i was looking into these packages
501
501

for the 503
503

but for the 501 i noticed throughout the forum that the rapid center column in NOT where its at and that its just a nuisance so then in that case i need a stick recommendation as well

PLEASE HELP!?
thanks guys
 
This has been discussed a bunch. You can search for older posts. Here's my 2 cents... The 503 is well worth the extra money and seems to be the best bet for the $500 range tripod. I know someone who has a 503 and a 503HDV and he hates the HDV. I don't really know why. But, I chose to save a few dollars and buy the 503 while it's still available. B&H seems to have the best price at around $500 for the head and legs.

As for the 501, I had used it on a few cable shows and I hated it. I rented the 503 for a shoot before making the purchase and decided to go that way. You may want to check out rental houses before buying one and rent them to see which works best for you. Good luck.
 
thanks alot tumbleweed
i looked around the forums and nothing really regarding the HDV versions

back to a question though that stuck out for me... i noticed throughout the forum that the rapid center column in NOT where its at so in that case get some sticks without it? and which sticks in that case?

and then 503 rather then the 501HDV is the verdict?
 
The link you posted is the set up I purchased. But, the 503 not the 503hdv. I can't vouch for or against the hdv. All I can say is the 503 kit is around $100 less than the hdv.
 
Back
Top