3d learning, help me decide

C4D is fairly intuitive, but I find it hard to find decent tutorials for it. I feel like you really have to scrounge for project based tutorials.

I'm learning XSI, and I'm finding modeling in it really intuitive.
 
I've been there, and I know that site well. Yeah there's free training there but it's hard to find specific tutorials geared towards stuff like spaceships, cars...

C4dcafe is good, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as 3d-Palace.net which focuses overwhelmingly on 3dsmax.
 
Hey Isaac a pretty good place for Cinema 4D is
http://www.cineversity.com/

They have some projectbase training there and are going to be focusing more on project base training. Some of their stuff is members only but well worth the admission price.
 
True, modeling in c4d is a pain compared to max at least for me.

Not sure why. Guess its what's your used to.But I'm sure it's just because the tools are different. I've modelled in max and its not the same in C4D so I can see that being a pain converting over.

Yep, just a matter of getting used to what all of the tools do.
 
Some modeling things C4D cant do. I just ran into one but found a work around that took 2 steps instead of 1.

But what a lot of people forget, as with other programs, is you can write scripts to make things do what you want. I find myself exporting .obj files (txt) and manipulting the data in my own c++ programs, then exporting back.

Point is, 3D apps are just another tool to reach the end result.
Maya is the big dog, and I'm trying to learn it. C4D though is a piece of cake and is at least a good launching pad. And the techniques apply to all platforms, so, I'd say C4D if you're an artist.
 
Why not just try Blender for free and see if you even like this 3D stuff. :) I'll tell you it's not something you can just jump into, it takes alot of time, reading, and well just playing with any of the programs to get good. I've been using Maya for about 3 years now (maybe 4), and I'm still learning stuff.... Lots of stuff !!


So try the free one out first, before you spend money on something that you might not even enjoy.


:)
 
IMO, Blenders workflow is somewhat counterintuitive to how pro, paid software works. If Blender was the first 3D software I picked up I probably wouldn't have made it that far, and this is coming from someone who started on Maya which is complex in it's own right.

Workflow is something that most open source software can definitely improve upon.s
 
ok, i know there's tons of questions and discussion about this,...i did a little bit of research and using Mac, it came down to maya and C4D.

i do a little bit of after effect vfx and motion graphic, but i want to step my game and learn a 3d package.

So the question is: i want to learn a 3d package and give it my soul, what package should i invest in?

keep in mind: - money is no object
- i'm not going to be doing ILM vfx at home, just a few motion graphic, particle, minor but believable vfx for music video and short films, etc


ok, your turn.....

Maya FTW mate.
 
Funny, everyone is saying C4d is much less complex than Maya. I'm sure it is, but just found it amusing because I'm pretty good with Maya but just started teaching myself C4d today because that's what the new company I'm at uses. I'm probably just so used to the Maya interface, but my initial reaction to C4d was frustration.
 
Funny, everyone is saying C4d is much less complex than Maya. I'm sure it is, but just found it amusing because I'm pretty good with Maya but just started teaching myself C4d today because that's what the new company I'm at uses. I'm probably just so used to the Maya interface, but my initial reaction to C4d was frustration.

As was mine when I switched from Maya, and I switched voluntarily so I could've went back at any time. Once I got into it and found out how it worked I was much happier with the results. The only thing I felt like I was missing was mental ray since I had gotten pretty good at decent renders. AR is good enough, and now with it's new improvements and/or VRay (neither of which I've tried), that argument may be a moot point.
 
Back
Top