30p-24p conform with cinema tools

cheezweezl

Veteran
has anyone successfully conformed 30p 5d2 footage to 24p using cinema tools?

also, anybody willing to hook me up with some raw footage straight from the cam? i want to try some post stuff myself. just need a few seconds of untouched 5d2 footage. i have an ftp you can upload to.

thanks!!!
 
Im sorry, are you asking about re-conforming 30p to 24p or do you mean interpolating 30p to 24p? Re-conforming being a retiming that ends up with mild slow motion and interpolation being that footage plays back realtime but at 24p. If your talking about re-conforming, than yes, cinematools rocks. If its interpolating to 24p your after, then its twixtor, compressor or aftereffects you want.
 
hunter, im talking about conforming, not interpolating. i want to shoot a music vid with the artist performing at 125% speed then once conformed to 24p will work out at the right speed (subtle slow-mo). i have done this lots with video and want to shoot one like this on the 5d2. i usually use cinema tools to conform 30p footage to 24p. takes almost no time as it is only rewriting the metadata basically. so you have done this with cinema tools on 5d2 footage?

while we are on the subject, what is your preferred workflow for interpolating to 24p?
 
The difference between interpolating and conforming? which one of these gives you true 24p along with converting the audio along with it.
 
both give you 24p. conforming simply plays back 30p at 80% speed just like if you overcranked film at 30p. interpolating throws out the extra 6 frames per second to give you 24p. conforming = subtle slow motion. interpolation = realtime.
 
hey cheezweezel, can you give a step by step breakdown on the interpolating that gives the best realtime 24p results.
 
Yes, reconforming works with the files strait out of the camera. I did that on this video: http://vimeo.com/3590386

Im still not 100% happy with interpolating to get 24p, compressor works ok- I think the best way is to manually convert to 24p using twixtor, clip by clip to make adjustments or add mattes.
 
Interpolating does not just "chuck out" the extra 6 frames per second. It interpolates so that there is no judder from simply removing a frame here and there to get 24p. As I said above, Shake can do this, and does it very well. It's called optical flow. Also, Motion and Compressor are capable of this too.
 
Yes, reconforming works with the files strait out of the camera. I did that on this video: http://vimeo.com/3590386

Im still not 100% happy with interpolating to get 24p, compressor works ok- I think the best way is to manually convert to 24p using twixtor, clip by clip to make adjustments or add mattes.

Twixtor's interpolation algorithm is not nearly as good Shake's or the other Apple software that uses Optical Flow. It's very tweakable and yield's excellent results if you know what you're doing. Also, the render times STOMP twixtor, especially if you're using a dual/quad core processor.
 
File in: choose your file, go to the timing tab under parameters and scroll down to the 30p to 24p pulldown, set dominance to 2, so that it stays progressive. Then, under ReTiming, select remap, retimeMode to "adaptive," motion to "best," and flowsmoothness and flow precision to 100, output node to your choice codec, set frame start to end in the box provided (eg. 1-250), render out node and there you have it. It works for me, anyway. If your not familiar with Shake, it can have a pretty steep learning curve, but I managed to figure this bit out in a couple of hours. Let us know how this works for you!!!!
 
what about compressor?

what about compressor?

Apple says Compressor 3 uses optical flow. Do you know if the quality is the same as Shake?
 
Apple says Compressor 3 uses optical flow. Do you know if the quality is the same as Shake?

Here, here, this was my understanding too and the reason I haven't bothered with Shake since I assumed I was getting the same results using Com 3 OpFlo on my 8core w/Qmaster. I've uprezzed DVX footage to inter cut with HVX and no one was the wiser, I rave about Compressor, and now I that I have the flv "adapter" from Episode Pro to go with it, I use it for all my web video batching. But now you've got me thinking I'm missing out on something since I'm thinking of getting the 5D, even tho' I bet my clients won't know the difference with 30p. Learn something every day.
 
i cant believe nobody has this info but you CAN NOT convert conformed footage to ANY codec...it HAS to be in its native form or else you will see STUDDER...
ANYONE HAS A WORKAROUND TO THIS???
im mid edit on a video that is all studding like crazy, i think the proper workflow will mean reconnecting original h264 clips before outputting...then your master has to be h264 any reconversion will result in this annoying studder...this **** suckkkkkssssss
help!
 
i cant believe nobody has this info but you CAN NOT convert conformed footage to ANY codec...it HAS to be in its native form or else you will see STUDDER...
ANYONE HAS A WORKAROUND TO THIS???
im mid edit on a video that is all studding like crazy, i think the proper workflow will mean reconnecting original h264 clips before outputting...then your master has to be h264 any reconversion will result in this annoying studder...this shi* suckkkkkssssss
help!

Nice first post. And I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Please read the whole thread.
 
Back
Top