24p 30p and Interlaced all on the same tape.

jojogalan

Member
If I record 24p 30p and Interlaced all on the same mini-dv tape and I capture in Adobe Premiere CS3 in a 24p Timeline, will this cause issues regarding the captured media?

Or can I use the media as if the program knows which setting each video is?
 
Did you capture all of them as the same clip? If you log clips separately (ie not having 24p and 30p segments in the same clip) it shouldn't be a problem as long as you use the proper de-interlacing cadence for each clip.
 
Most of the time, you can do this without a problem. Sometimes, it will not recognize that the type of footage has changed. When this happens, re-capture starting a second or so into the footage which didn't capture correctly.

With PP CS3, you don't have to worry about pulldown, etc., because it will taken care of automatically for you when you put the footage in an appropriate sequence (say, DV-24p). PP will recognize the footage for what it is, whatever you shot, and do the necessary pulldown removal, giving you the native progressive frames. As I said above, if for some reason it doesn't recognize 30p or 24p footage as it's supposed to be when you capture your tape, just re-capture making sure you're starting inside the footage.

However, if you're going to mix all of this footage in one timeline, and if you're not using the 60i or 30p for slomo, edit on a DV timeline, not 24p.

Also, with 30p or 24p, never, ever use a deinterlace filter. You do not want to deinterlace progressive footage! Pulldown removal, not deinterlacing. Like I said, it'll be done for you. You don't need to worry about capture settings; it's all automatic. (You could even capture in Windows Movie Maker, to DV format, and PP will still detect and remove pulldown.)
 
Thanks David,

Newbie here so I appreciate all your help.

If I am hearing you correctly, I can just record 24p, 23pa, 30p, 60i, all on the same tape and PP CS3 should recognize the correct setting of the file. However, what if I capture it as 1 continuous recording from tape and it is 1 large file. Will CS3 recognize correctly in this instance?

Also, in CS3, for pulldown removal, do I need to do that manaully on progressive material or will it be done automatically?

Thanks for all the help and patience,
jj
 
It's automatic in CS3.

If you try to capture all of the footage as one big file, I suspect it will treat all of it as though it's whatever the initial footage is. But then, I've never done it, so I can't say that from experience. I can't think of any reason to do it, though.
 
Thanks! We solved the problem by selecting the SCENE DETECT on the capture options. Worked like a charm.
Thank you so much.
I love this forum and I love the DVX-100B
 
Back
Top