2.35:1 lcd masking... my lame trick

Inexistence

Well-known member
So after purchasing my 100b, I started to wonder about how to frame a 2.35 shot
on my lcd which I believe has been explored here before. Since I like to keep things
simple and just crop in post I made this neat little mask for my lcd.

It's printed out on transparency sheets, cut down to 54mm by 71mm and with
a little masking tape... tada! Cheap trick, easy framing!:)

You can add any kinda grid system you want!

235_mask_54mm_x_71mm.gif



235_trans_pic.jpg


235_LCD_pics.jpg
 
Or, you could save yourself the hassle and pick up a pack of Screen Skins
(shameless plug) in the 2:35 ratio at EVS, B&S or Abel Cine...under
$5 for a 2 pack. :).

Ken
the Screen Skins guy
 
I like your DIY version though. I do have screen skinz and they are great as they have the different aspects on one 'sticker'. But i must say your transparency print out is pretty nice and effective. I live that you can see through the black area giving you more of a sense of what it will look like unlike having just lines. To mee this looks more pro.

Not lame. :beer:
 
i use elastic bands, but this allows you to see more clearly.

how is it done exctly? how do you print on those plastic sheets?
 
i print out mine too. Very easy once you've created the file, and you dont have to worry about them since you make them in sheets of 8 or so, practically disposable.

i print them on normal paper and then use a copy machine to print to the transparency sheet
 
you just tape it to the LCD and shoot 4x3, then you when you add the 2.35 matte in post, you know what you're getting. Always best to shoot clean and do you're matte, correction, etc in post
 
the only reason i might not go with this and stick with my elastic bands, is because using a 35mm adapter on your little lcd screen is sometimes a tricky thing, getting things perfectly in focus when its further than 6 feet away from you is difficult.

Having rubber bands for the gridlines doesnt effect your vision of whats in focus, but having a thing, even perfectly clear, ( as much as it can be ) will soften the lcd screen Ever so muich, making it that much more difficult to focus. me thinks

And whats that little box in the middle of the frame for?
 
a nice combination solution would be to just make the overlay a little wider so you have some clear side area, and then cut out the clear center portion so it doesnt affect your view of the LCD.

i used to take non marking scotch tape and just tape over the top and bottom of the LCD making a 2.35:1 mask. but i do like the little screens better.
 
That's a nice idea and it works also very good with a "on set preview monitor"!

Thanks!
Ruediger
 
I tried the wider mask with the center cut out and while it worked well, it sorta
fluttered in windy conditions. It was a bit distracting at times.

The box in the middle provides a general framing for thirds and centered.

PaPa, I see your point. I have not used an adapter yet but, with the transparent
sheet I have not noticed a bit of difference on the stock lens.
 
were i find the skin screens???

were i find the skin screens???

hi

i looked at the web site of evs and abeltech and didnt find the screen skins can any one help me pleas
 
Ramdop,
I don't see them on the EVS web site either, but I know they are in stock in the store. Call their 800 number and talk to Tommy.
At Abel Cine, ask for Jerrod.

Hope this helps.
Ken
the Screen Skins guy
 
diffuser

diffuser

Has anyone ever tried printing a solid white color and seeing if this would work as a diffuser? Just a thought. Not tended to thread hijack, just didn't didn't think I'd have to make a new one considering this sort of has to do with the type of screens he uses.
 
Car3o, I thought about that too! One thing about the printing, though it works well
with black it's still pretty uneven and I can't imagine that would work well on an
adapter. We have a pretty high quality printer at work that I printed the black ones
with but, I haven't tried white. I wonder if it might not be transparent enough? I'll
try it tonight and post pics.
 
I just took a clip and put every possible aspect ratio possible on it in FCP. THen i printed it all to a DV tape, and i just keep the tape in my bag. Whenever i need to mask the lcd, i just pop the dv tape in and play it, pause it and then tape off my lcd. THis works handy for me.
 
Inexistence said:
Car3o, I thought about that too! One thing about the printing, though it works well
with black it's still pretty uneven and I can't imagine that would work well on an
adapter. We have a pretty high quality printer at work that I printed the black ones
with but, I haven't tried white. I wonder if it might not be transparent enough? I'll
try it tonight and post pics.
Yeah, let me know. I know people have tried 35mm film and just took a picture of a grey wall and it didn't project the image, too transparent. So probably going to run into the same problem.
 
I called EVS and they said they didn't have the 2.35 screen skin, only 1.85 and 16x9.

Anyway I can get some of these?

And also, since I shoot with the m2 I'll need ones that'll fit on onboard monitor.
 
If I used a 16:9 screen skin on my LCD screen and shot with a 4x3 letterbox, than put it in my editing software at 16:9, will the 16:9 be true? Able to be played on theatre screens and stuff like that?

How does the image come out transparent if you put the mask of the LCD screen?

Is there a way I can follow both 16:9 and 2:35:1? If I did it in only 2:35:1, can that be played in theatres and transfered to film?

Please reply, and Have a good holiday...

Thanks
 
Back
Top