2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Guest

Guest
I took advantage of the new frame grab site to upload these. All were color corrected in HD then downconverted to 480p.

22205404.jpg


22205827.jpg


22210402.jpg


22211111.jpg


22211519.jpg
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

wow these are some really nice looking grabs! looks like color correction in hd definitely paid off (no grain or artifacts)
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

I took advantage of the new frame grab site to upload these. All were color corrected in HD then downconverted to 480p.

Hi - how would you go about doing this ?
I dont get it - by HD - you mean high def right ?
How is it possible to up the resolution etc - im way off I know - so please could you give me a brief education on what you done here.

Great grabs by the way.

I take it this is with the dvx100 A & the electronic squeeze or did you do the squeeze in post.

Cheers ;)
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

Was the footage shot with the 16x9 anamorphic lens (and the 2.35 footage cropped further) or was it 4x3 and then cropped?

(ARGH! for some reason I login, but then when I go to post, it says I'm not. Weird...)
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

Mike, I had the same login problem. Check the date, maybe it's set wrong and it thinks you've logged in too long. (I had the wrong year)
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

The video was upconverted to 720p in AE and then color corrected (some with the HD magic bullet suite). From AE they were downconverted to 480p.

I didn't use S-spline because I felt it oversharpened the picture too much, but I can honestly say I didn't spend enough time with the program to try all the different options. Basically it was a bicubic upsampling from an uncompressed 480p file.


No anamorphic lens was used. The 16:9 was shot in letterbox, and the 2:35.1 was shot with the LCD taped.
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

Here's another one of the govenator. same process

29193059.jpg
 
Re: 2.35:1 and 1:85 grabs

Re: 2.35:1 and 1:85 grabs

Nice pics Mark.

But I don't quite follow why you scaling these up to 720p for color correction? Are you doing this just to work with the HD version of Magic Bullet's 'Look Suite'? (Does this have some benefit over their Standard Definition plug-in?)

Although it seems there would definitley be a benefit to doing CC in a broader color space like 4:2:2, what effect are you shooting for by uprezing the image then resizing it back to 480p? Why not just work in a 4:2:2 codec at 480p?

Best,
Clayton
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

The reason for doing CC at 720p is that you get more information in the picture (or at least the illusion of more detail) when you downconvert to 480p again.

If I can find them, I'll post the side-by-side tests I did of this.
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

I remember seeing the CC segment in "Seven". He said that they upconverted to HD and then went back down.

Is there a big difference from going up to 720 rather than staying in the original format?
 
Re: 2:35.1 and 1:85 grabs

I haven't seen the segment you're referring to, but I imagine in "Seven" they wouldn't be upconverting to HD, they would be going from a higher format (35mm) down to HD or the like for color correction on telecine. Is this what they were talking about?

Best,
Clayton
 
Back
Top