14 Camera Moire Shootout

Lobbamobba

Well-known member
Two blocks from my house is "The Building of Moire".
This is an updated version with 14 cameras instead of 7.
Cameras Used:
Sony NEX5t
Sony a6000
Sony FS100
Sony AX100
Sony A7
Sony A7ii
Panasonic LX100
Panasonic HMC151
Panasonic GM1
Canon XC10
Blackmagic Pocket
Blackmagic 4K Production
Digital Bolex
Samsung NX1

 
One thing seems clear - 4K generally gives much less moire. For the obvious reason of resolution of course.

Thanks for doing all these Mattias.
 
They're all just as I expect for the moire on the Bolex, and the moire on the A6000 (more than NEX). I've never seen any artefacting/moire/aliasing coming off the Bolex.

Also on the other positive side the XC10 and LX100 seem to be particularly very impressive in resisting artefacts on such a fine lined building, like stable moving photographs, OLPF probably.

The NX1 does seem to have aliasing, jaggies but not moire, very minimal but not absent either, so is the 4K BM camera.

Anyhow I would rather all cameras have an OLPF that cuts moire/aliasing (which can be achieved) than have a slight more resolution.

Thanks for the test Matt. Very informative. Keep them coming I'll be a subscriber.
 
Back
Top