Urgent need for help! Importing a7sIII XAVC S file into FCPX or Davinci

sugoroku

Hi, it might be newbie question but please help if you know how to solve this issue.

I have recently purchased a7sIII and shooting with it for a while. As long as I playback the clips I shot in the camera, I can see them properly playing back. But when I try to import the clips into FCPX or Davinci, all I see in the media browsing window are blacked out video clips. I can only playback the audio but there is no video.

Has any of you experienced this?

I am running latest Mac OS on 2018 MacBook Pro 13inch with eGPU connected.
FCPX and Davinci are latest version too.

My clips are XAVC S.

There must be an easy fix to this.

Appreciate any help!

Do you have Sonys Catalyst Browse? It is free and you need it to export or copy your clips.

Last edited:
Are you running the free or paid version of Resolve? At least with the GH5S Resolve won't play back or import its 10bit clips in the free version; for that you need the paid version.

Are you importing the entire Sony file structure into FCPX and not just pulling the clips out of the folder? An emergency fix would be to transcode them to Prores using Editready or other software. I always transcode my FS5 files because I cannot leave them in place when I import into FCPX if I use the native files. They are imported in to the library which obviously increases the size of the library.

Are you importing the entire Sony file structure into FCPX and not just pulling the clips out of the folder? An emergency fix would be to transcode them to Prores using Editready or other software. I always transcode my FS5 files because I cannot leave them in place when I import into FCPX if I use the native files. They are imported in to the library which obviously increases the size of the library.

FCP X transcodes them for you during that import process...are you transcoding to something lighter? (J/W)

XAVC S must play easy in Resolve. Copy the clips with Catalyst browse to your working folder and import them in the Resolve media page. No transcoding needed.

Wow, thank you all for giving me advices.
What a great community!

To Publimix, I forgot to mention that I downloaded catalyst browse already and the clips play flawlessly in the app. So, I should follow your instruction and see if it works.

To Nobro, yes, indeed I downloaded the file from the exact link you indicated, but I am not seeing any changes.

To drboffa, I am running free version of Resolve but hesitant to upgrade to pro version yet. Since I am experiencing the same results in FCPX and Resolve, I am guessing the issue has something to do with codec and how the computer sees it. But I will definitely consider upgrading it when doing so may be the last resort.

To Patrickbaldwin, I am hoping transcoding to be my final option for it sure will take tons of time and hard disk space. But yes, I may end up doing that if none of other suggestions don’t solve my issue.

Thank you all again, and I am still looking forward to hearing from people who share similar experience!

There was someone else on here a few months ago who couldn't see his clips in FCP X from a Panasonic camera (IIRC) and a reinstall solved the issue.

But easier said than done if you have plugins/etc...but maybe doable.

I can't help, but I was wondering how good you are with DaVinci? I am struggling with a crop and pan video like this one used in Vegas Pro I did. I can do it in 60 seconds in Vegas Pro, but can not figure it out in Resolve.
Here is my demonstration:
https://www.screencast.com/t/bHBQ3gzvZIhx

If you can't help any idea who on this site that could? I tried Blackmagic support forums with no luck.

I have recently purchased a7sIII and shooting with it for a while. As long as I playback the clips I shot in the camera, I can see them properly playing back. But when I try to import the clips into FCPX or Davinci, all I see in the media browsing window are blacked out video clips. I can only playback the audio but there is no video.

My clips are XAVC S.

There must be an easy fix to this.

Probably not as yet. Well not quickly.

Sony's XAVC S-I is a brand-new intraframe codec for bit rates up to 600 Mb/s. This codec does not comply with anything in the readily available H.264 decoding libraries. Until Sony releases their SDK kits to the NLE manufacturers it is unlikely we will see rapid NLE support. This happened with Sony's XAVC-L codec when it first came. It was close to six months before even Sony's own NLE software could handle the codec natively. Having contacts at Sony Creative Software in Madison I asked why this was happening so slowly. The reply I got is that the factory Dev teams decide what they want to do codec wise and when they are totally satisfied all is good they then release the development kits. I was told if it's a common or garden non-broadcast H.264 MP4 wrapped codec that has been derived from the existing H.264 library is should be quicker to get the kits out to developers. On the other hand, if the codec is wrapped in an MXF container and has either an SMPTE or EBU certification and designation it will take longer as they have to wait for those standards bodies certifications to become official before they release the SDKs to developers. This also happened with Panasonic's 400Mbps I-Frame codec when it was first released. It was another case of a manufacturer developing its own proprietary variant based on an existing ratified H.264 library. At the moment transcoding your clips will probably be the most efficient way to go.

On the other hand, if you are using Resolve 17 MainConcept has a Beta test pack of codecs that might handle the codec within Resolve. You would have to sign up and register as a Beta tester with MainConcept to test this out. You can do that here.
https://portal.mainconcept.com/login

I haven't moved up to Resolve 17 yet, still on 16. I prefer to use full releases that are well settled. Spent too long as a Beta tester on other NLE software. :)

Once registered you can download the Beta codec pack. I think it should work. I base this assumption on the fact that I use MainConcept's "Total Code Studio" which so far has decoded all A7Siii XAVC clips I have thrown at it including its new XAVC HS HEVC codec. A codec whose DNA I have never seen before.

Chris Young

MainConcept plugin pack.jpg

MainConcept Beta portal.jpg

XAVX HS HEVC - Its DNA
XAVC HS HEVC info.jpg

I'm pretty sure FCPX has handled xavc s no problem for me. And I think every other codec available

Yea, definitely...not sure what's going on here as far as Apple's software, it should work.

I am struggling with a crop and pan video like this one used in Vegas Pro I did. If you can't help any idea who on this site that could? I tried Blackmagic support forums with no luck.

DaVinci Resolve has an almost identical function called 'Dynamic Zoom'. You set a Start and End Frame, and Resolve will animate between. You find the feature here:

DynamicZoom.jpg

I trust this information, together with the excellent manual, is enough to solve your problem. Good luck!

Yea, definitely...not sure what's going on here as far as Apple's software, it should work.

With all other flavors of XAVC yes but with the new XAVC S-I? I think maybe not. Could be wrong but it doesn't surprise me to hear this.

Chris Young

I’ve been importing a7s III XAVC S-I clips directly into both Resolve and Final Cut Pro for months, since the camera’s release, no issues whatsoever, no need for Catalyst Browse or third party solutions.

I’ve been importing a7s III XAVC S-I clips directly into both Resolve and Final Cut Pro for months, since the camera’s release, no issues whatsoever, no need for Catalyst Browse or third party solutions.

Yes, I have also used XAVC S-I (300 Mbps) clips in Resolve with no issue. In fact, it is much easier to edit these clips than HEVC long GOP clips.

Back