Editing large project

Giganova

How do you edit large (>1hr) projects in FCP? Do you put everything in one timeline or do you edit smaller bits and pieces in separate projects and combine them later?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, Pete.

I'd rather split it into different chapters, but how do I combine them into a single timeline at the end?

Thanks!

If you make a new timeline (same setting as your others) and simply drag all of your "chapters" into that timeline in the order you wish them to run. Just make sure this is the last step you do before exporting / burning. If you make any changes to those "chapters it can mess up the placement in your timeline.

How do you edit large (>1hr) projects in FCP? Do you put everything in one timeline or do you edit smaller bits and pieces in separate projects and combine them later?

Traditionally, feature films were edited in reels... simply because a single reel of film could hold about 20-ish minutes of footage. That's also why, when you watch a movie in the theater that's projected from a film print, you get a reel change every 20 or so minutes.

Even with digital production, it's good (and common practice) to keep your work in "reels" of 20-30 minutes. It keeps your sequences manageable.

Once you're done, you create a comp sequence (composite) where you copy and paste all the reels in order.

Just make sure this is the last step you do before exporting / burning. If you make any changes to those "chapters it can mess up the placement in your timeline.

How so? I mean, how is that any different from making an edit in any other sequence? You can add and delete lots of stuff while telling FCP to shift everything after the edit.

How so? I mean, how is that any different from making an edit in any other sequence? You can add and delete lots of stuff while telling FCP to shift everything after the edit.

Nesting (copy/pasting sequence's) has given me troubles more than once in the past. If you do too much of it, continue to make edits to the various sequence's, it can cause rendering and exporting issue's. Most notably that I've run into; your timeline seems to play just fine, but when you export the sequences are out of order. No matter how many times you try to figure it out in the timeline, upon export they still get thrown off. Drives me CRAZY.

I haven't had it happen in the newest version of FCP yet, so maybe they've fixed it, but just to be on the safe side I now try and refrain from nesting all my sequences together until the project is very near to completion and I know I won't be making hundreds of major edits to it.

Nesting (copy/pasting sequence's) has given me troubles more than once in the past.

Ah, nesting changes the formula a little. I've never nested when I've put my comp reel together. That said, seems that it would only take a second to make a new sequence once you've made changes to any one of the reels.

Back