Just wondering....

Mike Krumlauf

Anybody still use a DVX100 on paid gigs? I'm sure the answer is no but would be interested to see if their are any yeses, what type of gigs you're doing with it?

Sounds like Mike is going back to his roots again and getting ready to buy another DVX100 and sell the RED...even with his name sketched into it! haha
___

IMO, any paying job with such technology is surely personal for someone who doesn't really have any idea of IQ in 2021. Definitely can be done, but it's difficult, rare.

Sounds like Mike is going back to his roots again and getting ready to buy another DVX100 and sell the RED...even with his name sketched into it! haha
___

IMO, any paying job with such technology is surely personal for someone who doesn't really have any idea of IQ in 2021. Definitely can be done, but it's difficult, rare.

Nah, not selling the RED. I did however already pick up 2 DVX100p cameras for $50 so you are partially right. lol ..and NorBro is right, My lastname is laser engraved into the SSD module, would be pretty hard to sell it even if i wanted to, which i dont. I detect some sass from you NorBro HAHA

Last edited:
I enjoy following your camera journey, you're as crazy as me.

[I always thought you were born in the wrong decade.]

But as far as the quality comment...yeah, man...I really don't know how much you could do with those cameras for paying work for anyone who's not oblivious. One guy on here shoots with his SD camera for a client, but it sounds like the client is 70-80 years old and is very much used to the picture.

P.S. I don't think it would be hard to sell because of the engraving (especially for a good price) since people put tape over RED and the skulls/etc all the time, but because barely anyone can fix the cameras if something goes wrong (but you're definitely no stranger to that).

Anybody still use a DVX100 on paid gigs? I'm sure the answer is no but would be interested to see if their are any yeses, what type of gigs you're doing with it?

I doubt you could use it day in day out to please a variety of people. But @$50 they're worth holding onto if the look is required - or easier to achieve in-camera than extra steps in post.

Plus it can double as a prop, adding production value to any behind the scenes material, which these days seems more important than the shoot itself. Like james franco shooting on a fashion film with a film camera, the results are completely unimportant, james franco is still the talent, only this time appearing in the BTS.

That was a slight tangent - I'm not saying you're a poor person's james franco. My point is perhaps there's room to leverage the camera beyond what it's capable of shooting. But I doubt many people care about a dvx100, versus an easily recogniseable sony vx1000 for skate videos or a cool looking ancient film camera.

But if you really want to use the dvx100 cameras then it comes down to selling people on the look, which I'm sure is doable but harder to get over the line for most serious video work.

I think pushing an overall project with mixed formats, for example RED and dvx100 is probably more likely than shooting only on the dvx100. For example fashion films, documentary where there's a mix of past and present etc.

I used a DVX100b a few years ago to shoot a few gigs (and 2 music videos) in my area and a few interviews with bands and stuff. The promoters I was working with wanted that mid 2000's MTV style so the DVX was the obvious go to (that and it was the only camera I owned) I've noticed a lot of bands recently having videos shot on older DV equipment so I think finding work for older cameras wouldn't be so hard if you advertise yourself as Music Video Director or something similar. Hell I know a few famous videographers who do shoots for major fashion brands shooting on cameras like the PDX10e so there is a market for that late 90's early 2000's vibe/aesthetic

I personally wouldn't want to deal with tapes and interlaced footage, but maybe I'd shoot with a DVX100 if it had the Andromeda Mod.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with tapes and interlaced footage, but maybe I'd shoot with a DVX100 if it had the Andromeda Mod.

You can get DTE solutions which basically turn any DV camera with firewire into a tapeless camera. I know Datavideo have the DN60, Sony with the MRC1 and the DR60, and Focus had a whole range of DTE products to choose from, I own a FS100! Came with my HVX.

I almost forgot about those. I used s friend's FOCUS unit writing to CF cards with an XL2 around 10 years ago. I'd still rather use an HMC150 though.

[I always thought you were born in the wrong decade.]

I totally was. Granted, I was born in 90, got into film in 99 at a young age, and learned as Mini DV was becoming a big deal and F900/Varicam was king so its a mixture of me getting into film early enough in my life that I saw all the older gear when it was big and also, yes, i hate my generation and tend to gravitate toward GenX and some boomers.

Hey Mike,
thanks for uploading the Birns&Sawyer video to your YT channel. Still love watching the old vids. Nancy does a great job with the DVX100.
Cheers.

Hey Mike,
thanks for uploading the Birns&Sawyer video to your YT channel. Still love watching the old vids. Nancy does a great job with the DVX100.
Cheers.

No Problem. Found My DVD in storage and figured a couple people might get some educational use out of it.

Hey Mike,
Cheers.

I second that. Watched it today and found it very useful. As to your question, I wouldn’t use a dvx100 on a paid gig but I still like having one around for no good reason except that I like it and I like the pictures it makes. I used one back in the day, a dvx100b, but traded it in when upgrading cams. Years later, I bought another one but it wasn’t a ‘b’ model so I was dissatisfied and sold it. Last week, I found a dvx100b going cheap on ebay and it was delivered this morning. 172 hours of use, plastic covers still on the xlr jacks, hardly a scratch. I’m really pleased to have one again; just because.

Nice. Personally, I think the 100B is the worst of the 3 cameras. The 100 is the best, 100A is also decent, but the 100B I feel like lost the original DVX Mojo and became more of a glorified video camera with 24p. Colors look strange to me on the 100B. But happy you were able to find one again :)

Nice. Personally, I think the 100B is the worst of the 3 cameras. The 100 is the best, 100A is also decent, but the 100B I feel like lost the original DVX Mojo and became more of a glorified video camera with 24p. Colors look strange to me on the 100B. But happy you were able to find one again :)

Really? I found the dvx100b image to be full of character and had that distinct mojo in spades, so was disappointed when I tried a non ‘b’ model. I like the image especially on interior scenes that you can light, less so on daylight exteriors. The b model was the first I owned and used, so I guess that also accounts for why it means dvx for me.

you could alway use something like Topaz Video AI to up the resolution making it somewhat useful along with other modern cameras.

Back