3 things for an AF successor

For my needs?

1:1 focus assist (this is by far my biggest gripe with the camera)
Better DR
Dual recording capability to the card slots.

What would be nice? (But I'm not expecting, since I realize that this will probably only retail for ~$5k)

10 bit out of the HD-SDI
AVC-LongG to microP2, while keeping AVCHD as an option
Adding a zoom rocker and some sort of protocol so that someone could develop a zoom lens for it... or at the very least, since I don't know how technically possible that is, partnering/badgering someone like Fujinon into building a short ENG type zoom.

Last edited:
avc long g 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 50mbps
I think 50mbps should be stressed as the minimum bitrate. even if 25 is enough, 50 is still the standard in popular stations

and the rest is just a resounding
focus magnify,
significantly better DR,
overexposure knee fix,
oversized sensor,
higher resolve resolution,
fs700 overcranking (yeah we can wish),
genlock (for bruce allen),
decent price.

1. More flexibility for user the dial function beyond frame rate and shutter
2. Unearth access to picture profiles, and display them with name, instead of by number (see #1)
3. Ditch the EVF. It's at the back and of poor quality. Who uses this thing?

1. 10 bit 4:2:2 AVC Intra resulting in better highlight handling (yes, that's 2 or 3 in 1, but I'm looking at it holistically)
2. 12+ DR
3. 1:1 focus assist

I'm so appreciative of this, Jan! Thanks, and good luck!

Everyone else has already mentioned a lot of video specs, so I'll tackle other items:

1. Ergonomics for EnG. This means thought put into where start/stop buttons are laid out, viewfinder and LCD relocation, hand-grip position, and consideration put into balancing the body+lens on a shoulder.
2. Option to send all internal info (scopes/peaking/focus assist/etc.) via external outputs (drives me crazy I can't see this stuff on my monitor.) This would be selectable on a per-output jack basis so external recorders wouldn't be affected.
3. More solid/professional menu selection device. Not a fan of the flimsy-feeling joystick.

1: Go back to the HVX menu system
2. 10 bit 4:2:2 AVC Intra
3. Larger, higher resolution sensor

I'm not asking for focus assist as I have an external monitor with the function that works great. Otherwise, ti would be at the top of the list. It would be great if some of the pre installed scene file settings gave great results as the HVX did, without having to dial in new ones.

1.) 12-bit 4:4:4 RAW & ProRes 444 HQ recorded direct to SSD (with options for other codecs such as AVC, etc.)
2.) s35 sensor with 4K recording & 13-stops DR, with improved VFR (up to 120fps in 1920x1080 (mandates new 35mm PL/Canon EF/Nikon lens mounting)
3.) 1920x1080 4.8" LED IPS capacitive multi-touch display w/zoom (with the ability to still control interface view switches/buttons)

And of course, no features cut from the AF100. Maybe there would be 2 AF100-ish cameras, an AF100a (MFT) and AF200 (s35) for a bit more $$.

This seems like perhaps a lot compared to what's on the market today at this price point, but everything except the sensor size really is a processor/bandwidth issue (this mobile tech is improving rapidly & at low cost), and screens like I mentioned are becoming ubiquitous in tablets & smartphones. If Panny doesn't do this it won't be long until another company does, and wins the market.

1. Slo Mo 250fps 1080 - so I don't have to buy a Sony FS700
2. M4/2 mount (with larger sensor) - so I can keep using the lens collection I've built up
3. Higher real resolution & DR

Of course there are more but......

Last edited:
1. Analogue dial for assigning Scene Files (see HVX/HPX)
2. Ability to assign specific frame rates from 2-50 to the scene files (see HVX Hack)
3. 1:1 Focus Assist

Coming from the HVX I really miss having instant access to different scene files at 2, 25 or 50 fps at the twist of a dial,

Also be great to see 10 bit 422

Firstly I would like to say I love the AF101, which have been shooting with for over a year and am still surprised by how good the pictures are. Very well done Jan and the Panasonic team!

My 3 suggested improvements for a successor would be:

-A super 35 chip - but I would also love to still use my Voigtländers! Perhaps using a crop mode but I'm not sure how plausible this is.

-Improved sensor - in regards to resolution and and dynamic range.

-10bit 422 internal recording.

I am ready to upgrade and would pay more than the current price for something with these features.

This is a great thread. It's great to know manufactures are looking for real feedback.

Thanks
Joe

1.) 12-bit 4:4:4 RAW & ProRes 444 HQ recorded direct to SSD (with options for other codecs such as AVC, etc.)
2.) s35 sensor with 4K recording & 13-stops DR, with improved VFR (up to 120fps in 1920x1080 (mandates new 35mm PL/Canon EF/Nikon lens mounting)
3.) 1920x1080 4.8" LED IPS capacitive multi-touch display w/zoom (with the ability to still control interface view switches/buttons)

Realistic expectations???
I doubt it!

4K & RAW may be the latest buzz words, But having actually worked with raw files & 4K shooting, I can honestly say that I don't need it for my clients at this time.

ProRes 444 HQ, Ever do any real work with those big files? We do TV commercials that are many times well over 20 layers deep.

I absolutely hate touch screen monitors! Anyone that has used an iPad will tell you that they get all smeared with oil from your fingers.

1-Better dynamic range
2-10 bit 4:2:2
3- Better resolution

And if sticking with m4/3 a line of cinema style lenses. Better native glass options would benefit current owners as well as future buyers of an m4/3 camera.

Panasonic: Cinema style lenses means, the lens have to focus and/of zoom in the right direction! The only still lenses are Canon Sigma and Olympus.

1) 10 bit 4:2:2 AVC-Intra
2) Real 1080p resolution
3) At least 12 stops of dynamic range
4) 1:1 focus assist during recording

1 - 10 Bit 4:2:2
2 - Larger Sensor (not so much for the resolution because it is pretty sharp already! , but rather to be able to use more of the field of view of my full frame lenses...)
3 - 1 button push focus assist / hvx like

1) Move the Flip-Out LCD a little further forward on the body so that it can be used when cam is on the shoulder. Maybe even with a Panasonic-branded clip-on eyepiece?
2) 10 Bit - External through SDI if it needs to be for targeted cost...
3) Can the audio level wheels be made to move more smoothly/easily? It's impossible to gradually turn up the levels with the current Panasonic design.

1) Move the Flip-Out LCD a little further forward on the body so that it can be used when cam is on the shoulder. Maybe even with a Panasonic-branded clip-on eyepiece?
3) Can the audio level wheels be made to move more smoothly/easily? It's impossible to gradually turn up the levels with the current Panasonic design.

These are things I hadn't thought of, but would be great improvements

Apart from all the typical things that everyone is mentioning I'd like there to be an option to have the waveform in the bottom right corner of the LCD and made transparent, so it can be left on whilst shooting. I find it frustrating to have to turn it on and off constantly.

Can't believe I left this out on my other post, but when in VFR mode, NO levels should show on the audio level meter. Even better would be for audio to be recorded.

Back