Odyssey 7Q Users - Official Thread

7Q: FS700 Slog2 and Fs700 4k Raw to Pro Res
Camera : 1080/24p FX and RAW 4k

Is this the information you were asking? Any thoughts? Again. I push LUT and the image seems to expose 3-4 stops higher. Thank you.

7Q: FS700 Slog2 and Fs700 4k Raw to Pro Res
Camera : 1080/24p FX and RAW 4k

Is this the information you were asking? Any thoughts? Again. I push LUT and the image seems to expose 3-4 stops higher. Thank you.

It does do that. Lower your exposure until the LUT looks correct. The problem with doing this is that you will have a lot of noise in some of your video. Read up on ETTR.

Thanks. I never heard that term before. Essentially that is the principal we have been using. Doesn't seem to solve the efficacy of the monitoring LUT on the 7Q though. Seems useless because if I expose for the LUT it is less than optimal, if I don't, it's useless as a way to get a better sense of image. Seems like the monitoring LUT should be better aligned with proper exposure or just not give an overexposed image so we can get a better sense of color….Thanks.

No one likes to hear about future promises, but ...

We will be introducing some new LUT options which will allow one to select different relative ISOs. This will allow one to decide how the black levels, noise and other characteristics will be addressed outside of the Sony standard. We will also enable the use of custom 3D-LUTs so that the user can create whatever look is desired. The idea is to have matching LUTs on the Odyssey and in post in a program such as Resolve so that the same image seen on the Odyssey is reproducible in post.

I just purchased a second hand Odyssey Q7+. Can anybody advise from experience what firmware I should install to best work with my Sony PMW-F3? I hear that I should stay clear of the latest version?

Last edited:
Here is another question: My PMW-F3 shows only one S-Log option without identifying it as S-Log 1, 2 or 3. My Odyssey recorder came with the following LUTs on board:
  • SONY_EE_Slog1_R800 — S-Log1 to Rec.709 (800%) with no color space change, matching the in-camera MLUT
  • SONY_EE_Slog2_LC709A — Alexa style Low Contrast Rec.709, converted from the Sony original to Extended range in and out, to match the in-camera MLUT
  • SONY_EE_Slog3C_L709A — Alexa-style Low Contrast Rec.709, converted from the Sony original to Extended range in and out, to match the in-camera MLUT
Which of these is appropriate for the specific S-Log flavor of the F3? Thanks again!

The F3 used what would be called S-LOG1 today.
Hopefully you are just choosing a LUT for monitoring and not actually recording the LUT (doing so would defeat the whole purpose of S-LOG), so your choice of which one to use is purely a matter of personal taste. Choose whichever one you want . . . or none at all. I never use monitoring LUTs with any of my cameras because I prefer viewing unadulterated S-LOG in my viewfinder.

Just one more thought regarding S-LOG on the F3. With the right paint menu choices, exposure, and white balance, the F3 has the best-looking WYSIWIG ability of any Sony camera i've ever used. And I've used/owned just about all of them. I'm skeptical that you'll be able to get a better look from the F3 using S-LOG. Even when recording 10-bit to the Odyssey. Even when pulling out all the bells and whistles in Resolve. I really don't think you can get a better look from S-LOG than you could just by recording to the internal SxS cards and doing minor touch-ups in post. That workflow would be faster, simpler, and I'm sure provide better results. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
With the proper upgrade the F3 allowed for 4:4:4 output using the ports on the rear top of the camera. The Odyssey7Q supports this in ProRes. Definitely better quality than available in-camera.

The camera was created when there was only a single S-Log curve, so S-Log1 it is.

Thought id try posting this here....

I still use my Odyssey as a field monitor and yesterday i started getting a flashing message saying..."low clock battery". I'm guessing there is an internal battery for date/time ect just curious if anyone has dealt w/ replacing one.

I'm going to reach out to CD but i don't know if they are still serving these devices or not.

Anyway, if someone out there has experience w/ this issue i'm all ears!

​​​​​​​Thanks...

Back