Thanks to Luis and Stephen

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Luis and Stephen who took time out of their schedules to do NAB coverage for those of us who couldn't make it this year.

You guys did a great job. Thanks very much.

Although I was active in BMD thread I looked at the other snnouncents. Good stuff. Thanks dudes!

Cheers. Appreciate all the work you guys are doing. And a thanks to Jason for posting and keeping things organized around here!

Thanks to all... this was the first year I couldn't make the show since 1995... the great coverage helped ease the pain!
(although, nothing beats the thrill of the show floor, the endless chotchkies, aching feet and a nice cold beer as you reflect on the day)

Thanks guys!

You guys are all very welcome. Apologies if we didn't end up covering something you really wanted to see, but until you've been there and walked the convention center floor, you really can't comprehend just how big NAB is.

But we had a good time, and we're glad you guys enjoyed the coverage.

Oh, and by the way, all of this year's coverage was shot (and most of it cut and uploaded) using nothing more than an iPad.

Whoa, really? One of those new iPads?

Kegan

Yes sir. We had a few audio issues that cropped up, and the editing apps for iPad still could use some work, but it really freed us up to focus less on HOW we shot the pieces and how quickly we could get information uploaded to the site. So we covered more this year than last year, and we'll do even better next year, methinks.

Yes sir. We had a few audio issues that cropped up, and the editing apps for iPad still could use some work, but it really freed us up to focus less on HOW we shot the pieces and how quickly we could get information uploaded to the site. So we covered more this year than last year, and we'll do even better next year, methinks.
What app did you use to cut the material with?

We shot with the latest iPad, with an iMic jacked straight into it. The audio sounded great at first, but we did notice some interference as we went along, which seemed to depend on where we were and how much technology was around us. MicW just announced some pretty smooth-looking iPad Lav Mics, and we'll roll with something like that next year for sure. Besides, using the iPad means you don't have that awkwardness of showing up at Canon's booth with an AF-100, or at RED's booth with a 5D Mark III. :D

All of the footage was shot handheld with the iPad, no rigs, stabilizers or tripods involved. We did have a monopod, but I used it as a walking stick most of the time to take some of the stress off my fractured left foot.

"Post" (if you want to call it that), involved us editing the clips with Avid Studio for iPad, with the exception of a handful of pieces that Luis cut in Premiere on his laptop. All of the "intros" and "outros" were generated on the iPad with an app called Intro Designer, which worked great. We also used an app called PicPlayPost to throw up a few quick "multi-frame" 30-second videos.

When we had some issues with Avid Studio, we moved over to iMovie for iPad, which made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. But for what we were trying to do, and how quickly we were trying to do it, it worked. I'm hoping that next year the iPad tools and workflow will evolve a bit to make our lives that much easier.

Back